Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    katelyn0104 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2010, 08:51 AM
    Request for admissions for small claims court; can I write a written objection
    I communicated in a letter to the attorney that I was having financial hardships and personal hardships(divorce in process) prior to him filing small claims against me. My letter stated I would contact him as soon as the divorce was final so we could try to work out some settlement. He never replied to my letter. Can I write a written objection? If so what do I write?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Nov 24, 2010, 09:01 AM

You are pretty much at the mercy of the other parties schedule.

Plus who would you write to, at which court and in reference to what docket until its been filed and scheduled.
    CinnamonBrownie Posts: 45, Reputation: 13

Nov 27, 2010, 03:08 AM
    I'm not a lawyer, but my understanding is the principle at work here is the fact that you were admittedly considerate enough to contact the attorney I think you're saying you owe money to, won't help the judge determine what the case is about -- which apparently is whether you owe your attorney money.

If it makes you feel better, that's all the judge/jurist is going to decide, is whether you owe the attorney money and how much. If the attorney wins then he'll have a piece of paper (the judgment) to use to at least try to get his money back by instructing the court to go after your non-exempt assets until the judgment is satisfied.

I know it's not much, but I sure hope it helps a little.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 27, 2010, 07:27 AM

Written objection to what? You really need to give more info so we can help. Also ANY question on law needs to include your general locale as laws vary by area.

If you have been sued for fees owed then the only thing the court takes into account in handing down a judgment is whether you do, in fact, owe the money. Poverty is not a defense.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Request for admissions do I file answer with the court [ 1 Answers ]

I have been sent a "Request for Admissions" they sent by mail not certified, I have answered and sent back to them by certified mail, do I need to file this with the court?

Friend claims I owe him money and is taking it to small claims court [ 2 Answers ]

I was on holiday with a friend who booked and paid for a trip. When we got home he asked me for the money for this trip. He never told me how much it cost or that he would want me to contribute until afterwards. I have told him that he should have asked first and I wouldn't have gone as I cannot...

Mr YET .small claims,discovery,admissions,denial,interrogatories [ 50 Answers ]

I have been going back and fourth with a CA since December.I have followed all advice I could get from this site. I finally received the response when I asked them for production of documents. It is all a bunch of BS.in general it says... 1)general objection when I ask them to prove the...

What can I ask for in small claims court? [ 5 Answers ]

Paid $1200 for wedding pics sept. '06 and haven't received anything. Had contract. The contract clearly states the location of the ceremony. After wedding they added $250 in extra fees. Haven't paid the fees. The photographer claims the location was farhter than he had expected (even though the...

Small claims court [ 1 Answers ]

I have been summoned to small claims court in aug. this is for a credit card debt 2001 with a charge off in 2002. Now an attorney who buys and tries to collect these debts is the one who is taking me to court. What are my options? I am retired and work two days a week to supplement my income. I do...

View more questions Search