Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    homeimpr Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2010, 08:26 PM
    Securing vinyl shutters to vinyl siding
    Vinyl shutters were recently installed to our vinyl sided home. The instructions that came with the shutters say that you should not tighten the screws too tightly or it will restrict the expansion and contraction of the siding. I noticed that our shutters are secured very tightly to our siding which has me concerned. If I loosen the screws a bit, the screw heads are no longer flush with the surface of the shutter and stick out a bit. If these shutters are indeed installed too tightly, what will happen when the siding contracts in freezing temperatures or expands in hot weather? How can I tell if these shutters are installed correctly? Any advice would be appreciated.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 24, 2010, 01:55 PM
    As long as the shutters are not screwed tight to the wall so the siding is compressed, you shouldn't have any trouble. Some installers elongate the screw hole so the sidingan move.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Siding Repair - Which do you prefer Hardie Plank or Vinyl Siding? [ 1 Answers ]

I am actually someone who is looking for tips on renovation. This month I am planning on doing some siding repair. I am currently using vinyl but I was wondering if it would be advisable to still use vinyl and just repair my siding or would it be better to replace it with hardieplank? Please if...

Installing vinyl siding over cedar siding [ 4 Answers ]

Is it a good idea to install vinyl siding right over top of cedar siding?

Painting new vinyl shutters [ 5 Answers ]

I need to buy new shutters for my shore home. The house is being newly painted and vinyl shutters do not come in the color I have chosen for the trim (doors and shutters. If I purchase vinyl shutters in, say - white - can they be painted in the same color as the doors and, if so, how do you do...

How to paint exterior vinyl shutters [ 2 Answers ]

Hello Everyone, Wanting to know if anyone has the best way of repainting vinyl shutters and I am looking for a satin finish? Do I have to prime first? I would rather not?

Hole in vinyl siding [ 1 Answers ]

There is a jagged hole, about 2 inches in diameter in a piece of vinyl siding on the front of the house. It was the result of a rock being propelled by a lawnmower. Is there any way to patch the hole? There was no extra siding left behind by the previous owners. The house is approx 16 years...

View more questions Search