Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lemon14 Posts: 143, Reputation: 9

Nov 23, 2010, 10:56 AM
    English listening exercises
    I am preparing for Cambridge examination and I meet some problems at listening. Do you happen to know some sites or books that could be helpful for me? Thank you.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 23, 2010, 11:02 AM

Can you be more specific about your listening needs? Do you mean, if someone says a word, you know what it means or can spell it or write it down?

Nov 23, 2010, 11:46 AM
    If I hear a word I can do all those, but when I'm given a discussion between two or more people and I have to choose the right answer or fill in the gaps I usually make mistakes. In general, I understand what is being said, but I can't focus on both listening and reading + giving the answer, so I need some practice.

The types of exercises that I need are:
    1. Multiple choice, which consists of some short independent listening texts, and there are two or three option multiple-choice questions.
    2. Sentence completion, where I have to complete the missing information.
    3. Multiple matching, where I have to complete two tasks at once (there are some dialogs and some sentences which should fit the speaker or what the speaker says).
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 23, 2010, 12:03 PM

This would work best in real life by talking with English-speaking people. Isn't there a literacy group or English-speakers-as-volunteers who live in your area? This kind of listening study would be very difficult to do online.

May I ask where you live? Is Cambridge an ESL course?

Nov 23, 2010, 12:47 PM
    Yes, it is an ESL course, but unfortunately, there aren't such volunteers in my town. The course is kept only once a week and I study with another 30 students, so is pretty difficult to learn everything in the classroom, that's why I am looking for some alternatives to study on my own. The listenings we have are little, in my opinion and I thought that somebody may give me some ideas about this. I don't want to buy the teacher's book and listen to that CD until I learn it by heart and just by listening to people speaking doesn't help me practise these types of exercise.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 23, 2010, 12:55 PM

Are you in an Asian country?

How do the other students practice?

Is there a public library anywhere around?

Nov 23, 2010, 01:13 PM
    No, I live in the Eastern Europe and the other students don't seem to care about how much they know or if they know. Many of them take the course because they 'have to', not because they want, so I have nobody to ask. My teacher recommended me some books by Michael Vince (Intermediate Language Practice and Advanced Language Practice), but the CDs have only grammar exercises. She told me that I should pay attention in the classroom and listen to as many English speakers as possible. I always did this, but I need more practice. In general, it takes me a little bit longer than it should to learn something, but when I learn that thing, I learn it for good.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Meaningful and Easy-listening English songs. [ 4 Answers ]

Hello everyone in the world, please help me to break my problem: now I'm searching for english songs that are very meaningful (about love, friendship, mom, family, memories, etc) and especially easy listening. The genre is pop, mellow, slow rock. Not punk, metal, are n b, hard rock, etc. Ok, I wait...

Listening to my spirit. [ 18 Answers ]

Do you think our spirit and conscience are the same thing? I know my conscience disturbs me if I have done something out of my character mode. My spirit seems to tell me in advance of doing it that I will have a problem. How do you think these two are related?

Puppy not listening. [ 1 Answers ]

So I have a morkie(maltses/yorkie) that just turned 8 months old... and the only problem I have with him is he doesn't listen to me.. I mean he does but only to a point.. if I say teddy come here he comes but if I got to pick him up he runs away... if I go to pick him up to put him in his cage its...

Listening to Barack [ 14 Answers ]

From Charleston, SC: Barack paying homage to John Kerry for being a near traitor. And then the best description of "change" is take Washington back from the lobbyists and having students sell their freedom for a $4,000 tuition tax credit? What the hell is that? This guy is an empty suit selling...

View more questions Search