Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LHeff02 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2010, 05:54 PM
    We stored things my daughter abandoned at her rental. She says it was illegal,was it?
    My daughter had been issued and eviction notice by her landlord a while back. When we stopped by the house she rented; because we hadn't heard from her in about 2 months, we foundthe eviction notice on the porch. We called the landlord. I had a key, givent to me by my daughter 'in case'. I went inside before he got there about 10 minutes later. The livingroom was bare and the whole place a horrible mess. Obviously, it had been a long time since anyone was there. I offered to clean the house for him in return for taking my daughters things to hold until we could find her. He agreed. Now I couldn't take some of it; mattress, some furniture in basement with water damage, washer and dryer. But everything else we toolk and stored in our garage. After a few days she contacted me asking for her stuff. She came and got some. A while later she came by to get more, by now it was in strage. She took a car full and told me that I could do what I wanted with the rest. It's a year later; now she wants the rest and even came to my house while I was out of town to take some of MY things'to use as insurance' for her stuff. The storage unit is my friends, she was aware of that and he asked for her to pay back rent for the half space she took up. She said no, since she didn't ask him to store it. Now she says she can call the sheriffs department on me and file charges. I don't even have keys for the unit. What can I do or what should I do?
    GGertie Posts: 36, Reputation: 5

Nov 22, 2010, 07:15 PM
    The first thing you should do is to change your locks! Your daughter should not be able to get into your house to take anything.
    Next time she contacts you, set a time for her to come with a trailer to get her things. Let her know that she will have to take it all at that time. Then notify your friend of the date and time so he/she can be there with the key. Make sure she clears everything out that is hers.
    If I understand correctly, you arranged with your friend to store your daughter's things in your friend's storage building. If that is the case, your daughter has no legal obligation to pay your friend.

As for your daughter's threats, you might want to check your yellow pages for legal adivse, but it sounds like your daughter is just spouting nonsense.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 22, 2010, 08:15 PM

Well the thing is you did not have her permission to go in and take her things from her apartment,

I know you are a mother and wanted to try and save some of them, but not without asking her first.

Both you and the Landlord could be in trouble for doing basically an illegal eviction and taking her goods from her apartment.

He could not evict her without going though court for a formal eviction and remove her property then. The issue here will be proof that she was moved and gone, or merely keeping the rental till the last moment she was formally evicted to move her things.

Next was she given formal notice of where her things were stored. Also she should have been given a specific time frame to get her things.

Of course how did she enter your home ? She is not allowed to take your things. it is obvious there are issues between the two of you and she may have been showing you how it feels to have someone go in and take their stuff.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mobile Home on 11 acres is an illegal rental [ 8 Answers ]

I have rented a mobile home on 11 acres for the last 7 years. Back in November of 2009, the well collapsed on the property and the landlord did nothing to replaced the well. She was advised the day it happened and repeatedly. She took 3 lavish trips to China, Vietnam & Germany, yet did nothing...

Does being jail mean I abandoned rental property in VA [ 1 Answers ]

I am awaiting my court date and am currently in jail. My mother who was visiting my home at the time of my arrest has contacted my landlord and has now put a lease on my house in her name. I have still been paying the rent. All of my furniture and belongings are still in the house.I have not been...

My daughter abandoned her children, and my mother want full custody? [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter hasn't seen her two children or even called in over 6months, my mother and sister have had the two (1 and 3 yr old.) for 6 + months with no contact from the mother. Can my mother and sister file for custody of the baby's,

My boyfriend has a daughter and he still talks to his ex that abandoned their child [ 8 Answers ]

So I am 21 years old and I am dating a guy who is 26 with a 4 year old daughter. He is just wonderful and so is his daughter. There are just a few problems. I never thought I would date a guy who had a child. It's OK, I don't mind. It's kind of scary sometimes. We kind of jumped into things. We...

Return of rent on illegal rental [ 7 Answers ]

I rent a house in DC. The landlord is not in compliance with DC regulations for having a business license required for rental property. I have filed a tenant petition for illegal rent increase and a number of other issues. Will the landlord have to return the rental payments to me that were gained...

View more questions Search