Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aUser Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2010, 05:14 PM
    Sold New item on Craigs. Buyer picked up and later says not new. Wants refund or sues
    Sold a Brand New item on Craigs. Buyer pickd up without inspecting & later says it's not brand new & asks for refund or suing me.

I sold a brand new camera on Craigs, that I got as brand new online. I had never opened it and listed it on Craigs as Brand New. This buyer came to buy it and picked it up without inspecting it in front of me. Later she emails me that she found an empty memory card case in the box which didn't belong there and accuses me that this was not a brand new but used item sale and demands full refund. I have refused and mentioned that she should have checked the item at the time she picked it up so I could have a chance to defend myself if she found this empty case (which could be a lame excuse just to get rid of this deal). I suspect she may have found better deal and just wants her money back now. Upon my refusal, she is threatening to sue me in Small Claims court and says that burden of proof will be on me.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 22, 2010, 05:16 PM

Actually in a civil suit the burden of proof is on the plaintiff. But, unless you have proof that the box was sealed as new it will be a he said/she said case.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 22, 2010, 08:42 PM

So if you don't want to pay, let her sue, go to court, tell your story to the judge and let them decide.

You also should have told them to inspect it before leaving, but even then, they could lie and say they did not

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sold car on craigslist, buyer forced me to give refund [ 1 Answers ]

I sold my car on craigslist for $7,900.. kbb $8500 so good deal for this car. Anyway, the buyer writes me two checks , one for $7500 and the other for $400. He only had the $7500 available and told me to wait to cash the $400 check till Monday.. he bought on a Friday. Originally the buyer bought...

Sold car but after 3 days old fault came back and buyer wants refund [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I have sold my car privately and was sold "as seen". All reciepts were viewed by the buyer, except 1, this was for on oxygen sensor which has been replaced it was not intentionaly hidded but misplaced in my new cars logbook. Previously the engine management light was on showing a fault and to...

Am I obligated to refund money for an item sold on Craigslist? [ 10 Answers ]

I recently sold a wireless headset on craigslist. The item had never been used, was still in original box with all plastic wrapping sealed and was advertised as such. Later that night the man who purchased it called me and claimed it was defective... he asked for the receipt, which of course I do...

View more questions Search