Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    grampsfish Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2010, 12:43 PM
    Can I transfer money from 401 to ira at 591/2
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 23, 2010, 07:13 AM

Depends. If you are no longer an actrive employee on the job where the 401(k) is located, you can transfer it to an IRA at any time (you do not need to be 59-1/2). But if you are still employed then you can transfer it out IF the plan allows it. Many plans allow withdrawals by active employees after age 59-1/2, so it may be possible. If this applies to you, you would need to find out whether you can do a direct rollover to an outside IRA - your 401(k) plan administrator should be able to tell you whether this is possible. If not, it can get complicated, and risky for you - you can take a withdrawal and immediately roll it to an IRA, but you must roll the entire amount including the taxes that they would automatically withhold to the IRA within 60 days. If you mess this up the withdrawal is subject to taxes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Age 591/2 can I take my 401k money [ 12 Answers ]

Without being taxed

IRA roth or 401 widthrwal for further studies [ 3 Answers ]

I have a question... I am on H1 visa and My wife on h4 visa wants to study for masters next year... >>Can I use my 401k with no penalties for my wife >> Can I invest in IRA Roth and widhraw for her tution fees? >> Or just pay from my pocket and seek deduction for next year taxes? Whts...

401(k)/IRA early withdrawal. [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. My husband had his 401(k) rolled over to an IRA from a previous company he worked for about four years ago. He lost his job with his most recent company in January and has not been able to get anything else yet. I still have my job, but there is not enough to meet everything, even though we...

401 Withdrawal & Transfer to IRA Account [ 6 Answers ]

401k has dropped from 184k to around 100k. I have resigned employment with the company. If I roll over 401k assets to an IRA. Will the lower existing amount be transferred and the loss recognized or can the amount still have a chance to rise to previous higher amounts? If the existing amount...

Which is safer from the IRS, a 401(k) or an IRA? [ 2 Answers ]

I currently have a sizable tax lien, and I am paying on an installment agreement with the IRS for back taxes. I have around $45,000 in a 401(k) of which I now have the option to rollover into an IRA. The IRS has to-date not tried to seize any funds from my 401(k). If I decide to move the funds...

View more questions Search