Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    leanne1987 Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

Nov 22, 2010, 11:19 AM
    Bankruptcy
    Bare with me this is going to be long!
    Brought a house with my now ex partner in 2006 for 66,000 on top of this we took out a loan for 12,000, not long after this he threw me and our daughter out of the house and I was that scared I left and never went back, not long after we lived there he turned violent and an alcoholic. He sold all our possessions from the house and kept all the money, not long after he threw me and my daughter out on the streets he moved back to his parents and just left the house. Around this time I went to see a solicitor about having the house signed over to me so me and my daughter had a house of our own, they sent letters out to him to see if he would agree with this but he never responded so the solicitor said I couldn't do a thing without his approval, not long after this I saw him in the street and he said he would rather have the house repossessed than having me live there!
    That is what happened last year, I was in constant touch with the mortgage provider but they also said I couldn't do a thing, ( by this time I was on benefits but my parents agreed they would take over the mortgage for me )
    So ths last week I've just had a letter saying I owe 28,000 and was demanding payment. I have no idea what to do about it I only have 100 to live off each week and there is no way I can afford it, the mortgage provider told me they have no idea were my ex partner is so it is all down to me, I'm so stressed and worried I don't know what to do except go bankrupt, I'm worried they are going to come round to my home and take all our belongings.
    If I go go bankrupt what will happen, do they close my bank account? If so then how do I live? Its such a mess, I've only just got back on my feet and got my house sorted as it is I had to start all over when he sold our belongings first time don't think I could go through that again, what do I do? Im in the UK
    DownUnder Posts: 492, Reputation: 24

Nov 22, 2010, 01:24 PM

Who's name was on the house? Did you co sign the loan?
    leanne1987 Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

Nov 23, 2010, 01:25 AM
    Comment on DownUnder's post
    Both of our names was on the house under 50/50 , I'm not sure about the loan I think my names on it too alothough it all went into his bank. I have no paper work about it all as he wouldn't let me have any
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 23, 2010, 05:02 AM

First, please don't use the comments feature for follow-up. Use the Answer options instead.

If you are both on the deed AND the mortgage, you can sue him to pay his share of the mortgage. You can also sue him for the proceeds of his sale of your possessions. You may also get him on an illegal eviction if he forced you to leave your home. If you win those suits you may be able to claim his share of the home to pay off the judgments.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is Bridgeport Bankruptcy a legit company to file Bankruptcy with [ 7 Answers ]

Is Bridgeport Bankrupty online service a good company to file Bankruptcy. Are there any major reported complaints, like not filing Bankruptcy properly or at all.

Bankruptcy [ 5 Answers ]

I could not afford an attorney. So I am my own attorney. Yes I know you have a fool for a client. I am not a real attorney. I filed for bankruptcy on Sept 19 2008 and I have had my trustee meeting on Oct 27 2008 when I got home from the meeting there was a letter from an attorney stating that they...

Bankruptcy [ 1 Answers ]

If I file bankruptcy before I get married will this affect my spouse?

Bankruptcy [ 3 Answers ]

Hi: I'm thinking in going in bankruptcy. I owed some money to the IRS. Do I still have to pay? I have also some retirement accounts like my daugther custodian account for her college and a 401k. Are this accounts protected? Also my primary home and my car? Thank you. Carlos.

Bankruptcy [ 1 Answers ]

Hi: Thank you for your replay about the foreclosure. If I have to pay the bank the difference between the sale price and what I owe in a foreclosure, What happen if I declare myself in bankrupt?

View more questions Search