Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bkrnj Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2010, 11:46 PM
    Married to a Filipino girl who is not living here and will never live here
    Hi I got married in the Philippines a few years ago and when I filed my taxes I was told I had to file as married , no problem , then I found out that for the first time I owed the IRS . When I inquired about this , I was told that when you get married , it puts you in a higher tax bracket , I was under impression that when you get married , your taxes go down . Now, My wife does not live here, she has never been here and she will never come here , I don't want her here . I will be moving to PH for good soon , I just read that even though I will be living in PH , I will still have to pay income taxes to the IRS , I plan on having a small business , why do I have to pay more taxes when my wife does not benefit from anything from here and why do I have to pay income taxes to the IRS when I will not be living here and will never be returning . Then I was told I have to get a tax ID number for my wife , I do not want her to be forced into this system . When I leave here I will cut all ties to this country .
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Nov 22, 2010, 05:31 AM

You can file as married filing jointly or married filing separately.
    On the joint return your standard deduction is $11,400 and you get two exemptions. If you file as married filing separately, you will not get many credits and deductions including EIC.
    It appears that you are filing as married filing separately.
    You should file joint return or you can file as head of household if you have a qualifying dependent. Your U.S. Tax Return: Filing Status for Married
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 22, 2010, 04:19 PM
    If you want the benefit of filing jointly, then you MUST get her an ITIN. Do not worry about "forcing her into the system", because the ITIN is temporary in nature and will be used only until you depart the U.S. and, presumably, renounce your resident status or U.S. citizenship.

Also, look LONG and HARD at renouncing your citizenship. You can live in the Philippines, earn a living, and file your annual tax return without paying U.S. income taxes by using the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion. It will keep your options open to return to the U.S. at future date.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Married but living separately in different states. I live and work in SC with my 17 [ 2 Answers ]

My husband lives and works in VA due to aging parent. I live and work in SC with our 17 year old due to aging parent. I travel to VA every month for weekend. We file joint on Federal but how do I file with the states?

Living together if not married [ 22 Answers ]

Should you live together beofre your married? We are 20 years old and he's still doing school for a few more years and wanted to wait till he's out of school to get married and start a family, but could we live together now? Thoughts?

Just married living in 2 states. [ 3 Answers ]

My wife and I were married in 2006. In 2006 she worked and lived in NJ and I worked and lived in NY. I am very confused about filing our taxes jointly... Are we supposed to say that we were resident of NY and NJ, and how do we avoid getting taxed twice by both states... If anyone has any...

View more questions Search