Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    driyanna3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2010, 04:50 PM
    I won my case in small claims court.
    An now I want to know if I can garnish their income tax.I want to know what the next step is in order to get my money.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 21, 2010, 04:55 PM

This is the catch 22 of getting a judgment. It is easy to win a judgment, much harder to collect on it. While it is possible to attach an income tax refund in certain cases, its very complicated. You need to ask the IRS what the process would be.

Its easier to garnish salary (if local laws allow) or attach bank accounts, if you know where he banks.

Once you have that information you apply to the courts for a writ of execution and have it served on his employer and/or bank.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 21, 2010, 07:17 PM

It is harder to garnish IRS, the rules and process very complicated. As noted, finding and attaching local bank accounts is often the best way, after that garnishment of their paycheck ( if your location allows this)

As noted before, winning in court is easy, actually ever getting your money is another.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I won my case in small claims court, how do I collect? [ 4 Answers ]

I sued a former mechanic in smallclaims court and won. How do I go about collecting the debt now?

View more questions Search