Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    unclesammy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2010, 02:37 PM
    How and why do commercial banks fail?
    I have visited many sites, including FDIC, to find out exactly how and why a commercial bank fails. All the sites have endlessly discussed the failures without ever having described how. Is it from giving faulty loans or buying diravatives from other institutions? Or both? Is all of this info a big secret?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 21, 2010, 02:40 PM
    Simple really, GREED.

They over stretched their positions and when the markets started to unravel they had no back up, in either hard cash or credit lines they could call on.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 21, 2010, 02:54 PM

1) Regulators can be sloppy.
    2) The government can push too hard to promote e.g. home ownership.
    3) The government can issue fraudulent interest loan ratings for toxic bonds.
    4) The government can pay millions for these fraudulent ratings.
    5) The government can gain billions of dollars for selling this known garbage to unsuspecting victims.
    6) The investment banks and rating agencies can perpetrate fraud.
    7) It comes down to greed.
    DownUnder Posts: 492, Reputation: 24

Nov 21, 2010, 06:00 PM

Greed,Greed and more greed! Remember the love of money is the root of all evil!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 21, 2010, 06:27 PM

Remember banks do not have all of their vaults just full of your cash, they loan them out to people to buy investment property, homes, cars, personal loans. They will also put them in investments.

So remember this is also not their money, it is the money of people who deposit money. So if and when people don't pay the loans, they lose money in investments, they have less money on the books, than the money they owe to the people who deposited the money.

That is a very simple version. It is a lot more complicated in the movements of money and federal and state banking laws.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Marketing fail [ 9 Answers ]

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o252/hheath541/randomness/fails/epic-fail-age-impossible-fail.jpg http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o252/hheath541/randomness/fails/epic-fail-amish-dating-fail.jpg ...

Are some banks too big to fail? [ 3 Answers ]

"John McCain and Richard Shelby, two high-profile Republican senators, said Sunday that the government should allow a number of the biggest U.S. banks to fail. "'Close them down, get them out of business,' Shelby, the senior Republican on the Senate Banking Committee, said on the ABC television...

I Fail Life [ 22 Answers ]

I just cannot deal with life anymore. Everything has gotton complicated and I just can't seem to do things properly and get things right for once in my life. Okay well I don't even know where to start.. . Lets see, okay well for starters I always seem to screw things up for example the only I guy I...

View more questions Search