Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bethpott Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2010, 07:23 AM
    REplaced well pump, wired wrong, blew fuses, replaced fuses, now no power. Now what.
    My husband replaced our well pump, didn't read instructions for wiring, so wired it wrong. Hit the power and blew the fuses. He replaced the fuses, but there is still no power whatsoever to the well. We checked breakers in the house although none are marked as controlling the well. All appears fine there. What should our next step be in correcting this problem? Could the new pump now be damaged as a result? He's double checked the wiring connecters on the pump and the fuse/power box. The fuses that blew were marked as 20 and 30, he replaced them both with 20's but doesn't think that is the problem. Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on this.
    parttime Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Nov 21, 2010, 07:35 AM

Beth, you say "still no power at the well" was this checked with a meter? Did he check the fuses with a meter?

Nov 21, 2010, 07:48 AM

No, no meter. Just when the switch is turned to the "on" position there is nothing, not even a hum.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Nov 21, 2010, 07:55 AM

1. Check for power coming to fuses.This is done with a volt meter. If no power, check breakers to see if blown. This would be a double/220 breaker. Move breaker to off ,then on. Some breakers do not move to the off position when tripping.

2. Check fuses to see if good. This is done with an ohm meter. If not replace.

3. Check for power leaving fuses. This is done with a volt meter.

4. Check wire for power at pump. This is done with volt meter. Disconnect wires from pump.If no power, break in wire. If u have power, burnt out pump.

Chuck

Nov 21, 2010, 08:01 AM

Chuck, thanks so much for your quick reponses. We will check everything as you suggested. Thank you, again.

Beth
    Ultra Member

Nov 21, 2010, 12:14 PM

If still have problem, let us know. If not would like to know solution.

Chuck
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Nov 21, 2010, 03:17 PM

Beth,

Your husband made a very serious mistake if he replaced a 30 amp breaker with a 20 amp breaker.

What he did was limit the line to 20 amps. If this is a motor control circuit, then he might just be preventing the motor from overcoming its inertia and failing to start.

This could lead to damage in the motor.

I know, we guys are just not equipped to read the instructions first, we can always go back and read them, after we have screwed up. It's in our DNA, right next to admitting we were wrong.

Nov 21, 2010, 06:51 PM

Hello Don,
    The power box for the well was already equipped with a 20 and a 30 amp fuse, apparently the previous owners doing. After my husband "blew up" whatever he blew up, he then replaced the fuses with 30's. This did not correct the problem and he's done a temporary fix for now, bypassing the box, but we still need to find out why the box isn't getting power. We suspect he shorted out the wires leading to the well's power box. If that's the case, should be loads of fun digging that up! And you know, I asked him if he was sure he had the darn pump wired right and he said there was no way to mess it up. Well... read the instructions next time, Dear!
    Thank you for your input, Don. I do appreciate the time you and Chuck have spent trying to assist us. I knew this was the right place to go for help from knowledgeable and friendly people. Any further thoughts from you or anyone else would be greatly appreciated.

Beth
    Ultra Member

Nov 21, 2010, 10:00 PM

Hi Beth

If u can bypass the fuse box, then u are getting power from breaker.

By your last post, sounds like u burned out the mounts for the fuses. Replace fuse box. BE SURE TO TURN OFF BREAKER BEFORE STARTING TO REPLACE IT. Do not work with live wires. Could end up seriously hurt or dead.

Chuck

Nov 21, 2010, 10:37 PM

Actually, my husband connected a spliced utility cord to the pump and ran it to a 110 wall outlet in the garage for power. The pump has a gizmo that can be switched from 110 volts to 220. Our old pump ran on 220 (we think) so we notice our water pressure increasing and decreasing when the pump changes psi, which we weren't aware of with the old pump. My husband says its due to using the weaker of the motor settings (110 vs 220). As I said, a temporary fix. As for burning out the mounts for the fuses, hadn't thought of that at all. That will be our next step. Thanks so much for the idea!

Nov 21, 2010, 11:45 PM

Tried posting a version of this earlier, doesn't look like it went through, so am trying again. Apologies if it's a repeat.

Addition to prior post:

Hello Chuck,
    We're not even sure at this point where the breaker for the well is. Our house and property belonged to the family of a farming operation which is located next door to us. About 15 years ago they sold the house and a portion of their property to the people we bought the house from. Prior to our purchasing the house 3 years ago, the well was shared with the farm. About a year before we bought the place the farm no longer wished to share the well, so they dug their own. We assumed that during this process the power was routed back to our house. Today, a neighbor who works for the farm said the breaker for the well is in the breaker box at the farm - on a pole in the field next door. We checked those breakers and none were tripped. The breakers in our home don't designate a breaker for the well, and we can't check to see which, if any, supply power out there as we are currently experiencing a total lack of power at the well. We'll be asking the owners of the farm when they report for work tomorrow about all this, and hopefully figure out just where the breaker is. The answer we get will determine whether we call in a professional electrician - which I've been pushing for all along, anyway. My husband is a smart man but I do believe he tends to act before thinking (thus the reason for the original post!). I truly don't want him messing around with the fuse box - at all - even if we learn the whereabouts of the breaker. I've been nervous with what he's done already. One misstep and I'd not only be without water but without a husband! So... wish us luck and thank you so very much for your help. I will let you know what develops and may very well call on you again.

Beth
    zeke Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2010, 04:35 AM
    You should really purchase/borrow a volt meter. Guessing with electrical is only going to get someone hurt. This sounds like it can be easily diagnosed but we need to know the supply voltage first.

Nov 22, 2010, 03:12 PM

Well, we have a volt meter and I even took it out to the well when my husband was working on it, but to my knowledge, I don't believed he used it at the time. He did tell me last night that he will use it tonight when he gets home from work to check the incoming wiring to the well. Hopefully, that will let us know if we're dealing with the need to replace the fuse box and/or wiring to the well.
    Thank you, Zeke, for your concern.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My '00 Chevy Blazer isn't getting power to the fuel pump & I've replaced the relay [ 12 Answers ]

I have a 2000 Chevy Blazer we have replaced the fuel pump and the fuel relay and my the car still won't start. We hooked up the scan tool and my truck won't read it. It cranks but WILL NOT start. Any ideas?

My 220 watt mackie power supply kept on blowing fuses were you plug in the power cord [ 2 Answers ]

My 220 watt mackie power supply kept on blowing fuses were you plug in the power cord.

The light in my ceiling fan won't shut off after I replaced a bulb that blew. [ 4 Answers ]

I turned on the light of my Homestead ceiling fan and the bulb blew and also tripped the breaker. I reset the breaker and replaced the bulb. The bulb lit but now it won't shut off. I replaced the battery in the remote just to see if that would make a difference. What should I try or look to do?

Replaced Transformer on Trane heat pump still no power [ 5 Answers ]

Today I woke to no power to thermostst. Through this site I found out about the transformer. Check power to transformer good 120volts each wire. But no voltage out. Replaced transformer. Wired red to red and white to white incoming power. And blut to black blue and red to black red out coming....

2 fuses blew in my detached garage [ 1 Answers ]

I went to replace the extension cord in the garage with a new wire. After I put the main fuse panel (the one with 60AMP Buss fuses two of the screw in 15 & 30 AMP) blew out . :confused: When I replaced the blowen fuses I now have no electric to my detachaed garage. I used my meter but could...

View more questions Search