Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    daddgirl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2010, 12:32 AM
    I just moved into an apartment in the carpet wasn't cleaned before I moved in
    My landlord said she is only cleaning the three room not four because of the special deal she got from the carpet cleaning company three room special can she do that am I responsiable for the other room
    kwingf Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Nov 21, 2010, 01:32 AM
    First thing I would do is check your contract and agreements upon moving in (were clean apartments advertised?). If she is obligated by the contract or previous agreements then she should clean all of your carpet regardless.

However, knowing landlords like yours, don't expect her to do anything about it until you decide to take legal action. How nasty is the carpet? Is it possibly a health hazard? If so, contact your health department. Don't inform her of your motions, though. She may decide to kick you out or make up falsifications about you and take them to court. I've dealt with this and so has a friend of mine.

Not a health hazard nor is it in the contract? Then consider it a lesson in life. Now you know what kind of demands to make of a potential landlord before moving into a new home. Contracts go both ways and signed copies are binding in most states (check your local law for need of notaries and the like).

That's my answer from personal experience. There's probably more information on this.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 21, 2010, 06:02 AM

The issue is how bad are the carpets? You have to make a determination whether the carpet condition is so bad you need to make an issue of it.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 21, 2010, 08:40 AM

Hello d:

Before you moved in, you HAD leverage. If you had showed up with a van full of stuff, EXPECTING her to have done what she SAID she would do, you could have put your stuff in storage, gotten a hotel room, and charged her for the whole kit and kaboodle.

But, you didn't do that. You moved in instead.. You have no leverage. You wouldn't even win in a court of law. Since you ACCEPTED the conditions, you can't complain about them afterwords.

Sure, she SHOULD have cleaned the whole carpet. That she got a deal, is NOT your concern. Having a clean place to live is. Given that she's shown her TRUE landlord colors, you KNOW you're going to have trouble with her down the line. So, I'd bring it to a head NOW. I'd write her a certified letter informing her that she has 48 hours to get the carpet cleaned, per your agreement, or you'll have it done and deduct the cost from the rent. If she says NO, give your notice and be happy.

Yes, you'll probably wind up in court with her. It's a shame that people go into the landlord business not knowing a THING about the business they're in.

excon

PS> Upon moving into a beautiful house, my landlord called and told me that he would be by on such and such a date, to water his favorite tree. In the lease, however, landscape maintenance was MY responsibility. I wrote the landlord the requisite letter thanking him for taking over the yard duties. I told him to show up after 9:00, bring his lawnmower, and come every two weeks at that same time.

I had NO trouble from that landlord after that.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Nov 21, 2010, 04:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello d:

PS> Upon moving into a beautiful house, my landlord called and told me that he would be by on such and such a date, to water his favorite tree. In the lease, however, landscape maintenance was MY responsibility. I wrote the landlord the requisite letter thanking him for taking over the yard duties. I told him to show up after 9:00, bring his lawnmower, and come every two weeks at that same time.

I had NO trouble from that landlord after that.
    No problem after that from the landlord wanting to "water" his favorite tree. You're a real trooper, Exie, a real trooper for sure. Guess he didn't want to mow your yard. Great way to get rid of landlords. Hafta remember that one...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I moved out of my apartment back in December. I didn't do well in school, had no job, [ 2 Answers ]

I moved out of my apartment back in December. I didn't do well in school, had no job, and consquently my parents told me to move back home. I told my roommate I would not be returning the next semester. I then paid rent for January because I did move out so suddenly. I then sent her 48 dollars to...

In CA is there a health law requiring the carpet to be cleaned? [ 1 Answers ]

In California is there a health law requiring the landlord to clean the carpet after a tenant leaves even if the tenancy was only 24 hours? Landlord stated it is a health law to do so, even though I left the apt. as clean as I found it.

If a person on parole moved to my address then moved out doesn't the PO have to verify [ 2 Answers ]

I want to know if my address is still being used and why this hasn't been verified by the PO its been a month

Mold in My apartment and landlord won't get it cleaned up. [ 1 Answers ]

Well the title says everything. I have found mold in My apartment and My landlord got mad and told Me and My family to leave, he says he just painted the apartment and there's no way there is mold (I think he's mad cause he painted it trying to get rid of the mold then when it came back he got...

After the carpet cleaned [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking for an after the cleaning solution other than Scotchguard. A friend suggested a product called Amos. Does anyone know where You can get Amos? No Amos and Andy jokes. OK?

View more questions Search