Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kingsofleon Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2010, 06:13 AM
    How to start a health insurance company?
    What is needed in order to start a health insurance company in NJ/NY? What are the state rules and regulatory standards? I want to start an insurance company competing with Aetna etc... not an agency.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 20, 2010, 06:20 AM

Contact the State Insurance Dept for each state. They can give you the regulatory requirements you have to complete. They are extensive. The most important issue is capitalization. You will need to have a lot of capital to fund potential obligations before you will be granted a license to sell coverages.

Another issue here is that most health insurance providers work by creating a network of health care providers who will agree to accept a schedule of payments to provide care for your customers. So you will first have to line up those providers.

I'm wondering whether you have any experience in the insurance industry? Why did you decide to try this as a venture?

Nov 20, 2010, 06:38 AM
    No experience here. Just sold my tech company so have cash to start-up. How about the pooling of funds to serve all? What I want to know is a basic picture of how the process works from a insurance compacts back-end? Thanks for your help!

Nov 20, 2010, 06:47 AM

Well the first thing I would do is hire a consultant who has experience with either starting or running a health insurance company. Again this is a complex business with HEAVY regulatory requirements.

Re your question about pooling funds. That's how insurance works. Policyholders pay premiums. Those premiums go into a pool of assets that is used to pay claims. There are specific requirements on how much must be kept in that pool relative to potential obligations.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 20, 2010, 06:56 AM

Hello k:

Sounds to me like you had a bad experience with Aetna and you want to put 'em out of business... If you're going to be successful, however, you have to act just like them. After all, there isn't money to pay for EVERYTHING. If there was, insurance companies would go broke. So, you're going have to DENY life giving care to SOME of your customers/members, just like Aetna does... Sort of like your very own death panel.

If you can do that stuff, and you sold your tech company for BILLIONS, go for it.

excon

Nov 20, 2010, 07:20 AM
    Sucks to know it's a highly fragmented market. Thanks for all your support.

Nov 20, 2010, 07:22 AM
    What about basic insurance for office visits medications and lab orders

Nov 20, 2010, 07:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kingsofleon View Post
    Sucks to know it's a highly fragmented market. Thanks for all your support.
    Not sure what you mean by a fragmented market?

Quote Originally Posted by kingsofleon View Post
    What about basic insurance for office visits medications and lab orders
    What about it? ANY form of insurance will require regulatory oversight.

There are so called discount plans. Basically, you line up a network of care-givers who will offer discounts to members. Members then pay a fee. I'm not sure whether this comes under insurance or not.
    The patient is responsible for payment, but at a discounted rate.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 20, 2010, 12:30 PM

After you prove you have millions of dollars to show ability to pay claims.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I start a Health Insurance company business [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking to start a FREE state funded health insurance company mainly for the Uninsured working individuals in the State of GA. Where do I start?

Setup company for health insurance purposes? [ 4 Answers ]

Is this legal and can it work?: Get 100 people to chip in $1000 or 50 to chip in $2000... With the money buy a rental property and name each of the 50-100 people as the employees who would all split the profits. Will this work to make us a company of 50-100 employees so that we can get...

Which health insurance company should I list on my MA tax return? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, my question is regarding the new insurance laws that are in place in Mass and how to input this info to my tax return. From Jan. 07 - July 07 I had a certain health insurance. At the end of that period, when that coverage was cancelled I applied for a different health insurance, which I...

View more questions Search