Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RandyinCT Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2007, 01:00 PM
    Tile leak from 3rd floor through 2nd floor ceiling (bath)
    Hi All: We renovated our third floor bathroom which included stripping the floor down and installing tiles (1" squares within 1' blocks). After our 3rd floor tenant takes long showers we get some leakage through her floor and thusly through our ceiling (which we now have partially open to have access). We are almost 100% certain that this isn't a plumbing leak as such, but instead due to overspray from actual showers (we recreated the problem only by dumping water on the floor up there--it isn't a leaky pipe).

Any ideas on a fix? We've tried re-calking, sealing the grout/tile, etc and the d*&%$ed thing continues to leak...

Thanks,

Randy
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 6, 2007, 04:25 PM
    Ifit isn't a drain or grout leak then you got to be on the site to locate it. Sorry, Tom
    RandyinCT Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2007, 07:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    Ifit isn't a drain or grout leak then you gotta be on the site to locate it. Sorry, Tom
    Thanks for the feedback--yeah, it only happens after the tenant showers so we're pretty sure overspray is puddling then finding the lowest point and then coming through. Re-calking where the floor tile meets the wall tile?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 7, 2007, 07:30 AM
    On a complaint such as yours the first thing I would do is locate the source.
    Likely spots are, where the shower stream hits the tiles the grout may have shrunk allowing water to enter above the shower pan lip and running down inside the walls. A slow drain could allow water to puddle and build up in the shower floor and find a opening at the lowesr point. If there's a shower door it may nhot have a good seal and if no shower door then the overspray could be getting outside the confines of the shower enclosure. It's not easy tracking down a "mystery leak". It has to be done on site by the process of elimination. Good luck, Tom
    AMBHandyman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2007, 10:27 PM
    In this world where there is no system to train people how to do things many projects around a house get done wrong. I am now trying to fix something similar. The shower door was put in backwards. You can't have the opening that swings out in direct line with the shower spray. This is an invite to disaster. The shower spray needs to be at the very least directed towards the side where the hinge is. It would be best if the shower spray was not in the direction of the door but in most cases that is not possible. Many contractors only think of ease of entry not what will happen to the floor when it gets soaked repeatedly. To find this leak you need to open the area below the shower and actually see where the water is coming from.
    daddysmurf Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2010, 09:25 AM

I hate to assume so I won't did you seal the floor grout?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2nd floor bathroom [ 1 Answers ]

Wanted to add a 2nd floor bathroom. I have a 4" DWV from roof to first floor bath. The whole house is on a slab. Needed to know if I can tie into the 4" pipe for the toilet,sink and shower on the 2nd floor. The 2nd floor toilet is right above the first floor toilet. I here stories that when I...

2nd Floor Bathroom [ 3 Answers ]

I am installing a new Shower/Sink in a 2nd floor bathroom. I am not familiar with plumbing code (I am more of a fixitup guy) and wanted to know if the plumbing that existed when I tore up the floor is to code, and if my new layout will create problems. Would it be easiest to take pictures and post...

2nd Floor Shower Trap [ 1 Answers ]

I found this message on this forum https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=4331&highlight=RUNNING+SHOWER+TRAP I have the same issue I need to trap a 2nd floor shower (floor joists 2x8) so I want to know if I can do this thing called the running "U" trap and how I build one. I want to run...

First Floor Shower Tile Leak [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I Just Got My Shower Re-done And Its All Tile Top To Bottom. We Have Tile Floor. We Have A Leak Where The Tile From The Floor Meets The Tile Step To The Shower, I Looked And Saw A Hole In The Grout Where I Think It Is Coming From. We Don't Hear Any Constant Running Water Or Anything, Is It...

New 2nd Floor 1/2 bath [ 3 Answers ]

I own a 1942 bungalow with a single 1st floor bathroom. I would like to add a 1/2 bath to the 2nd floor. The vent from the basement/1st floor passes through the upstairs bedroom. The stack is behind a plaster 'bump out' on an exterior wall that is about 16" wide and 3" deep. Whether I do the...

View more questions Search