Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Jan 6, 2007, 10:51 AM
    Any ancient Egyptian objections to Exodus?
    Were there ever any ancient Egyptian official objections to the Exodus account given in the Hebrew Scriptures? One would expect that ancient scholars not to mention such intellectuals like the Greeks would say something. Did they?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 6, 2007, 12:09 PM
    There is Merneptah Tablet discovered in 1906 by Sir Flinder Petrie. Which speaks of Isreal and the Exodus.

And even this find is very unsual since the ancient kings never recorded anything but hier victories. So it is assumed that they re-wrote history to try and show the exodus as their victory over them and running them out.
    The reason for showing this will never be know since it was not normal to ever show history of a loss. Only the victor normally posted history of that.

It would also date the exodus at the 5th year of the reign of Merneptah. This is a date 200 years latter than normally believed to be that of the actual Exodus

But it is also common as with Ramesses II and Mernepth that one pharaoh would take credit for things that that previous had really did. This was done even with various monuments where they had their names carved on that of others.

There are the Amarna Letters, when ask help from the "habiri" the exact meaning of habiri is not known but many believe it may be the hewbrew people that was being referred to

Bricks of Pithom, were discovered in 1883 by Naville and in Kyle in 1908 at Pithorm had the lower courses of brick filled ith good chopped stray, the middle courses with less stray and the upper were pure clay, exactly the way the bible described the requirements on the Hewbrew slaves

And both the son of AmenhotepII and Merneptah ( both pharaoh) lost their first born so which ever ( and it is debated which was the Pharaoh for moses, both meet the requirement of the death of first born.
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Jan 7, 2007, 01:07 PM
    Thanks for the fine information Fr_Chuck.
    I accept the Exodus as a historical fact. Just wondering about why Egypt and other contemporary nations never challenged the claim. Egypt, I know always tried to hide defeats. But even after the passage of so many years one doesn't see the outrage from the Egyptian side that one would expect. Now, to others this might indicate that the Exodus and the plagues and miracles that attended it never happened. But to me it has always come across as proving that it did happen ad therefore remained virtually unchallenged because of it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ancient names of constellations [ 16 Answers ]

Does anyone out there know where to find the ancient names of the constellations? I have read that the names were changed at some time within recorded history. Hopefully, the information will be somewhere on the net, but if not, maybe there is a book somewhere. Thanks!

Ancient egypt [ 2 Answers ]

If the middle kingdom in ancient egypt was from 2050-1750 BC and new kingdom began in 1550 BC what do we call time in between

Ancient Okinawan Tea [ 5 Answers ]

Does anyone know where on the net or not where I can buy Ancient Okinawan Tea from Australia?

The date of the Exodus [ 4 Answers ]

Dear Friends, What do you believe to be the date of the Exodus of Israel from Egypt, and why do you choose that date over other dates? MORGANITE

Egyptian berries [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone know what fruits and berries were available in Ancient Egypt at about 1800 BC? Captain O.

View more questions Search