Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MadiMayhem Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2010, 03:54 PM
    Freeze on both my savings and checking account due to Child Support
    I recently had a freeze put on both my savings and checking accounts due to child support. I adopted my ex-wife's children when they were 2 yrs of age and she has not allowed me to see them whatsoever since I re-located to try and find a job (being that the economy has been in such a horrid state for my line of work#. I relocated shortly after their 10th birthday. I called repeatedly.. and then called some more. I fell behind in my child support payments of over $300/weekly because I was unable to find work for some time. But, I did work when I could and money was directly taken out of my checks and sent to her. I was able to borrow money to retain a lawyer and hopefully get this amount re-adjusted because the amount I was making in the past exceeded my present work wages by 50%! But it was work and I took it! I've come to find out that my ex-wife is and has been dating her lawyer's son, which makes me question if she even had to pay a retainer which she is also asking the court for me to pay. In order to be better involved in this dispute I have relocated my fiancé and daughter AGAIN. Being that it was an out-of-state move, having next to NO money, I had no other option but to take my pension early and pay the penalties for that. I split the money into a checking account and savings account and within 5 weeks the freeze was put on both. I faxed a letter of appeal to the state child support division and it was denied. My daughter also needs support #1yr old) and I don't see it being fair that I have to surrender ALL of my pension. I love my children.. deeply.. but I don't see how I can support my daughter being in this position. Please, if you have ANY advice?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 18, 2010, 03:58 PM

Sorry, but you should have filed for a modification of the support when you first lost your job. That might have prevented you from getting so far in arrears. I doubt if anything can be done at this point.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Nov 18, 2010, 04:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MadiMayhem View Post
    I recently had a freeze put on both my savings and checking accounts due to child support. I adopted my ex-wife's children when they were 2 yrs of age and she has not allowed me to see them whatsoever since I re-located to try and find a job (being that the economy has been in such a horrid state for my line of work#. I relocated shortly after their 10th birthday. I called repeatedly..and then called some more. I fell behind in my child support payments of over $300/weekly because I was unable to find work for some time. But, I did work when I could and money was directly taken out of my checks and sent to her. I was able to borrow money to retain a lawyer and hopefully get this amount re-adjusted because the amount I was making in the past exceeded my present work wages by 50%! But it was work and I took it! I've come to find out that my ex-wife is and has been dating her lawyer's son, which makes me question if she even had to pay a retainer which she is also asking the court for me to pay. In order to be better involved in this dispute I have relocated my fiance and daughter AGAIN. Being that it was an out-of-state move, having next to NO money, I had no other option but to take my pension early and pay the penalties for that. I split the money into a checking account and savings account and within 5 weeks the freeze was put on both. I faxed a letter of appeal to the state child support division and it was denied. My daughter also needs support #1yr old) and I don't see it being fair that I have to surrender ALL of my pension. I love my children..deeply.. but I don't see how I can support my daughter being in this position. Please, if you have ANY advice?
    As Scott said, this is your fault. If you lost your job, you should have filed for a reduction. If she was hiding the children from you and there is a court order stating you are allowed visitation, you should have filed for contempt of court.

It doesn't matter who she's dating. I don't see why the court would order you to pay her attorney's fees unless you're unnecessarily dragging her into court. You have legitimate cause at this point.

You may be able to get your current support reduced but good luck on the arrears. It's not the court's fault you didn't file and it's not your ex's fault, either. You failed to act and as a result, you owe the money.

Nov 18, 2010, 04:05 PM
    Comment on ScottGem's post
    Thank you Scott. My lawyer has been retained for nearly a year and my petition for modification is still undergoing. I should've retained a lawyer much much sooner, but being in such a horrible financial state I was unable to.

Nov 18, 2010, 04:09 PM
    I was told by a customer service rep at the child support division (after having my first letter denied) that I should write ANOTHER letter stating that I would surrender my savings (which has a substantial amount in it) if I could keep the small

Nov 18, 2010, 04:09 PM
    Amount in my checking.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 18, 2010, 05:09 PM

First please don't use the Comments feature for follow-up. As you found out, the Comments are limited. Please use the Answer options instead.

If someone suggested such a letter than go ahead I don't think it can hurt.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child Support Levy On My Savings Account, How Could This Happen? [ 2 Answers ]

I woke up this morning and noticed that $3,600 was missing from my savinings account that my wife and I share. We are in the process of moving so we have been saving to do this. I have always paid and have never been late on payments. I'm sure your wondering why I have a balance to owe then. ...

Can debt collectors find your checking/savings account [ 2 Answers ]

Can any debtor (credit company/bank) find your new checking/savings account numbers (new banking facility)? Also I am on my mothers checking account and my sons checking account, can a debt collector freeze those accounts or only if only my name is on it?

How do I initiate a search for my ex husbands checking account with child support [ 6 Answers ]

How much will it cost for me to have the child support agency track my ex husbands checking account. And if they do this can they do it for free?

Garnishment of checking and savings account [ 2 Answers ]

If your bank account is garnished or frozen will a bankruptcy take care of that?

View more questions Search