Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Nov 18, 2010, 05:54 AM
    Flack for having minimum car insurance
    In another thread I was slammed for having the minimum car insurance and being ignorant. The person saying so even berated me for not having comp and collision, which last time I looked covers the policy holder only.
    I have the minimum because I have a 14 year old Honda which I rarely drive, averaging 10 miles a week in a rural town. Anyone paying for C&C on an older car is throwing money away, so the issue is really about liability. I use my 92 year old dad's car often, which has plenty of coverage. The required liability in my state is adequate. If someone sues me for more, they will get my share of a very valuable piece of land - fine, they are covered. I and my dad meanwhile live on SS very frugally. I don't have accidents or violations. I know 'most accidents occur a few miles from home' but that includes all the people backing out of their driveways, and I don't find it meaningful anyway, since most driving is close to home. I think I made a reasonable and informed choice, and it costs me <$300 YEAR. Years past I had plenty more liability as needed for the situation, but never C&C because I always buy older cars. My older sister and her husband, who have far more assets but who are also retired, have the minimum also, and they pay even less in their state.

I would like to hear from others. The person yelling at me not only was wrong about C&C, but was really nasty (and a site moderator wrote an agreeing comment under that response)!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2010, 06:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    In another thread I was slammed for having the minimum car insurance and being ignorant.
    Hello j:

If the minimum is all that the law requires of you, you're doing just fine. If you have NO assets to protect, WHY in the world would you buy MORE insurance that protects OTHER people and not yourselves?? Some people's kids.

excon
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 18, 2010, 06:13 AM

I went in search of the thread you mentioned, joy. We up here in Canada only carry the minimum because of costs. I have deductible which is $500. I am on the road every day with my job from client to client, but actually all in town and rarely far affield. What you want to carry in order just to say solvent and be mobile is your own business.

I agree with exxy.

Tick
    current pert

Nov 18, 2010, 06:17 AM
    Comment on tickle's post
    Thanks I feel better
    current pert

Nov 18, 2010, 06:19 AM
    Comment on excon's post
    Thanks. I do have the land asset, but whoever I injure can have it if they deserve it.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 18, 2010, 03:02 PM

I agree about the collision - the cost to repair is probably more than the car is worth, and given a reasonable deductible of $500 probably not worth it. Comprehensive is pretty inexpensive - if you don't carry it you're basically saying you can come up with the cash to buy an equivalent car if you had to. The amount of liability to carry depends on your assets - if you have investments, an IRA, a house, or valuable personal property you want to make sure they're protected. But if not - then go with the minimum.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Car accident my car with insurance but no license [ 8 Answers ]

I had a car accident with my car with an insurance cover but no valid license but provisional driving licence which I have accepted liability of,what would be the repercussions

Can my sister's insurance be responsible if I drove her car without insurance [ 3 Answers ]

I drove my sister's car thinking my own insurance covered this. Unfortunately I didn't realise I wasn't covered due to my being the named driver. Now I am being charged for driving without insurance and the other person and his passenger are going to claim against me for damages to car and...

Does my insurance company have to pay for damages to a car with no insurance [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter was at fault for a car accident, however the other person had no insurance. In the state of Indiana you must have insurance. My question is does my insurance have to pay the other person damages? Also can I report this person to police department for false information on a legal report...

I was in a car accident and the owner of the car had no insurance. [ 6 Answers ]

I don't know what to do... Help

View more questions Search