Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Coddie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2010, 08:02 PM
    Can you get out of a lease for medical reasons?
    I became really ill about 3 months ago and spent over a month in the hospital. I have since been on disablility due to not being able to work. I called my apartment complex and told them my situation, it is a reoccuring illness and I have had to stay with my mom because I have not been able to take care of myself. They want me to pay almost $5000 to get out of my lease. Is there any way that I can get out of it legally? I need to move in with my mother due to not being able to work..
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 17, 2010, 08:05 PM

Often, no, but you will depend on the exact terms of the lease and where you live, ( if in the US each state has its own laws)

What is the rules on lease as to ability to sub lease it out
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Nov 17, 2010, 08:08 PM

Given your health, I would hire a lawyer to help you. The lawyer will cost a lot less than $5000 and can probably negotiate a lower payment.

Is some of that money unpaid rent?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 17, 2010, 08:14 PM

I would try and contact an ADA lawyer

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Breaking a lease for medical reasons [ 3 Answers ]

We have 17 months left on our lease. We are in a 3 story condo that the stairs are greatly aggavating my wife's back and legs. Can we break the lease for medical reasons?

Cancelation of Lease for medical reasons? [ 2 Answers ]

Hey, We leased out one of the rooms in the house we are staying in to an individual yesterday. The lease is for 6 months. He hasn't paid yet. We gave him until the end of December to come up with the money. Anyway, last night he was doing his laundry and he fell. I didn't think too much of...

Breaking Lease for Medical Reasons [ 1 Answers ]

My friend lives in the state of Virginia, his father has to have major surgery to have a metal plate inserted in the entire left side of his head due to an accident. He needs to break his lease and move in with his father to be the caretaker. Upon discussing this situation with his landlord, the...

Breaking a lease for medical reasons [ 4 Answers ]

Our mother in law is being put in disability by her doctor. She is being forced to leave her job and will soon require continuous care. For this reason, we are moving her from Philadelphia to Oregon. Her lease runs through August. She approached management with this and they want her to pay 4...

Breaking a lease for medical reasons [ 2 Answers ]

I am an elderly 82-year-old woman who needs to move out of my third-floor apartment for medical reasons. Is there a way to break a lease without penalty because of this? I have been a tenant of the apartment complex for 23 years.

View more questions Search