Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    poncedeleon Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2010, 03:20 PM
    Can a slander charge break probation?
    My buddy was found guilty of either criminal or civil trespass. (It's complicated and I could add more details if needed - I wasn't in court so I can't say for sure). But, he was ordered to stay out of trouble for six months.

Last night he got drunk and posted on someone's wall on Facebook some remarks against the person who charged him with trespass. These remarks could be considered slander. I got him to remove them but they were up for 15 hours so I can't say who saw them.

If the person who charged him with trespass shows these remarks to the judge who 'sentenced' my friend, could he be looking at jail time now? Or am I just over-reacting here.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2010, 03:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by poncedeleon View Post
    Or am I just over-reacting here.
    Hello p:

Not really. It could be worse than that. Slander is a civil offense, and wouldn't all by itself violate his probation.. However, contacting his VICTIM, probably WILL be a violation... I'm certain his probation rules say that quite clearly.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 17, 2010, 06:07 PM

Merely posting it, even if not sued for slander most likely would be considered enough to violate the probation,

Hopefully nothing will come of it.

Nov 17, 2010, 06:22 PM
    Comment on excon's post
    Hi Excon,
    Thanks for the answer. I never made it clear: he never contacted the victim... he just wrote about the victim on Facebook. But it's interesting that this matter falls into civil & not criminal court so we will have to see what happens.

Nov 17, 2010, 06:24 PM
    Comment on Fr_Chuck's post
    Yes that is my feeling as well, and a friend of mine as well. He was explicitly told to stay out of 'trouble' -- any kind of 'trouble'. Now it is a matter of time to see the outcome. Thanks for answering.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 17, 2010, 07:13 PM

What you have to remember is that it does not take another criminal act to violate a probation, for example, often you can't live or "hang out" with other people on probation, nothing criminal, just actions. For example others can not have any beer in their homes, ( again, not illegal, just against the rules)

Nov 17, 2010, 07:44 PM
    Comment on Fr_Chuck's post
    Hi Fr_Chuck,Another good point. I don't really have the details about what his probation entailed but I don't think what he did will be looked upon kindly by the court. I will add more it something comes from this event. Thanks again.
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Nov 17, 2010, 07:46 PM

And on Facebook, such a post might well be seen by the victim if there are mutual friends involved. It seems reasonable to assume she saw it.

Nov 17, 2010, 09:44 PM
    Comment on asking's post
    Hi Asking, Yes, I am fearing the worse in this situation. I am pretty sure the other party saw the posting. Thanks for your response.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2010, 05:26 AM
    I never made it clear: he never contacted the victim ... he just wrote about the victim on facebook.
    I am pretty sure the other party saw the posting.
    Hello again, p:

In terms of his probation, THAT is contacting his victim..

excon
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 18, 2010, 05:30 AM

Slander = the spoken word

Libel = the written word

Nov 18, 2010, 06:51 AM
    Comment on excon's post
    Hi Excon, Oh. Thank-you. I didn't realize this.

Nov 18, 2010, 06:52 AM
    Comment on J_9's post
    HI J_9, Thank-you for clearing this up. It was libel then. So I have to start looking this up.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Probation Violation and new charge [ 3 Answers ]

My question here is for all to answer that can in particular EXCON I am serving a 4 yr probation sentence due to ID theft and I have 15 months to go. I got a new charge of ID theft and that has lead to a Violation of my probation, I seriously did all the I was serving time for until this I trusted...

On probation with a new charge [ 2 Answers ]

My friend is on probation till 2012.. and got cought with tampering of edivance in a felony case... what kind of time or violation is he looking at... yet when he talked to the dective he said as long as you coperate you should be OK.. what dose that mean

No charge and probation [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and I had separated and filed dvi's against each other.she called me wanting me to be with her and she wanted to work things out plus she is pregnant.well we went to court about the temerary restraing order she had on me couse mine got declined and she got hers well we got in court and I...

New charge while on Intense Probation [ 1 Answers ]

I am currently on 6 months intense probation, and 5 yrs total probation, or facing two 18-36 month sentences back to back. I served 4 months, 21 days in jail and was credited 4 months when I signed my plea bargan... I got stupid and put some items in my purse at Walmart, and was approached after I...

View more questions Search