Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nanared Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2010, 12:23 PM
    How to change a3 prong cord to a 4 prong cord for an electric dryer
    I moved into a house that has a 4 prong outlet and my dryer has a 3 prong cord, how do I go about changing the cord. I called an electrician put the job is to small for them to come. My manual only has about the where to put the neutral and the grounding wire but does not explain which screw to put the red and black wire on. The neutral wire is in the middle so can someone tell me if the red wire goes on the left or right of the neutral screw and the black one also on the right or left. All screws on the dryer are silver with no color markings
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Nov 16, 2010, 12:35 PM

It does not matter which tap handles either hot conductor. Red and Black are your hot conductors.

The big change in a three to four wire conversion is the proper placement of the Neutral (white) conductor and the Ground (green) conductors.

On a three wire system, Neutral and Ground can be connected together. On a four wire system that cannot be together.

The reason for the change is because the NEC only allows Neutral and Ground to be bonded together at the Main Service Panel or Main Disconnect Switch.

If they are tied together else where, that objectionable current may be seen and other locations.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2010, 02:20 PM

On a 3 wire dryer, the 2 outside terminals are usually the hot, The center terminal will likely have a white wire, leave that on the terminal, and connect your white from the 4 wire cord to that center terminal. On the center terminal, you may see a metal strap that folds up onto the center terminal, remove that strap, then where the strap connects to the case of the dryer, connect the green to that screw which held the strap.
    Ranges are basically the same.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I plug in a 2 prong cord into a 3 prong extension cord? [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know if I can safely plug in a 2-prong lamp cord into a 3-prong extension cord. Thanks.

How to change a four prong stove cord to a three prong oven cod [ 0 Answers ]

I have four prongs on my stove I need to change it to three prongs I need to know how to connect the wires

What do I do with the white wire when converting a 4-prong dryer cord to a 3-prong? [ 2 Answers ]

I moved into an older house and have a brand new Maytag Bravos dryer. I took the 4 prong cord off and there is a white wire that was installed under the middle prong of the 4 prong cord. The white wire is part of the dryer... it comes from a bunch of wires inside the dryer. I am now putting a 3...

Changing 3 prong dryer cord to 4 prong [ 1 Answers ]

I recently moved to a house that has a 4 prong dryer receptacle and my dryer has a 3 prong cord. I bought a 4 prong cord but don't know the order to wire up the new cord. Witch two cords go together? Thanks

3 prong to 4 prong dryer cord [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I wanted to know when converting to a 4 prong dryer cord , what do you do with the green ground wire that is already connected to the frame. Do I replace it with the green ground wire that's on the cord or do I leave it alone, and place the green wire from the cord on another screw.

View more questions Search