Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Nov 16, 2010, 12:18 PM
    Paneling a room
    Several months ago we had to take down the paneling in some sections of the den wall because of water damage on the outside wall.

We pulled all of the walls inside skins down and replaced it with paneling.

Now to the finger pointing. I suggested to my son that the paneling he purchased was to thin and that he should either glue it on a backer board or at the very least put Liquid Nails on the studs for additional support. Both vetoed because, "I had no idea what I was talking about."

Well here we are now with the paneling buckling on the wall giving a ripple effect.

So, do we pull the stuff down and purchase thicker paneling (8' ceiling) or should we try to save the paneling and glue it to some thin wood to add strength to the paneling?

In general, what would be the minimum thickness for paneling that will be nailed to wall studs?
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Nov 16, 2010, 12:56 PM

If u can get paneling down without damage, would recommend 3/8'' S/R as a backer. Then glue and nail paneling.

A good quality paneling will not have much flexibility when handled, but still recommend a backer.

Chuck
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2010, 04:58 PM
    Agree with creahands but also recommend that the SR be installed horizontally, backwards. That way, the seams don't run the same way as the panels and you don't have to worry about filling in the joint. Another approach, a bit too rustic for some people, is to use T-111 plywood, 3/8 "
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 16, 2010, 05:23 PM

You feed them, cloth them and put them through school only to find out they think you are nuts, nice Don. I agree with the guys but think you'd be better off with new , thicker paneling but cost does always play a role

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wood paneling [ 3 Answers ]

I have spent so much money remodeling my mobil home and now Im wanting to change the wood paneling at the cheapest best way I can. My husband doesn't recommend wallpaper says It won't last as long as painting an doesn't think I should do anything to the lines in the paneling. I do not want the...

New paneling is buckling, why? [ 5 Answers ]

I just put up new paneling in my laundry room. I used glue on the back and nails all around and for some reason a few panels are buckling on me. Why? Did I not do something right? I paneled over sheetrock, so there is a solid back. Also, do I now have to replace these pieces of paneling or...

Wood paneling [ 6 Answers ]

I just bought a house with ugly brown wood panneling :( For a cost effective solution (for now) instead of ripping it down, can we paint it? How about white washing it? Would white washing it make it look more like birch? We have the northwoods theme going on so that might work. ANy advice...

Paneling a bathroom.. need help [ 1 Answers ]

Do I panel before or after my sink tub and shower get installed?thanks

Painting Paneling [ 4 Answers ]

I have very dark paneling I want to paint, am not sure what paint to use or how to prime it. Also can I make it look less like paneling once I paint it? Thank you

View more questions Search