Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    desoto Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2010, 05:48 PM
    Bankruptcy filing for seniors
    Can we as elderly seniors on social security file for bankruptcy and get rid of high credit card debt, mobile home payments, personal loan debt?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 15, 2010, 06:37 PM

Anyone can try to file bankruptcy but the courts will look at every asset to determine if the party truly is bankrupt. Your debts must excede your assets, do they
    DownUnder Posts: 492, Reputation: 24

Nov 15, 2010, 07:41 PM

You will have to take a means test to see if you qualify for chapter 7 or 13,you will also be required to take a credit counseling class. These are part of the new bankrupty laws that took effect a few years ago. Talk to a good bk lawyer and they can advise you
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 15, 2010, 07:44 PM

And of course if you get rid of mobile home payments you are also getting rid of the mobile home, you can't keep it and not pay for it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should Poor Seniors File Bankruptcy? [ 6 Answers ]

Help! My parents have $45,000. In credit card bills. They are living on social security benefits plus they have $35,000. In a savings account and they rent their home. If they continue to make their $1000. A month minimum payments they will run out of savings within two years. I have advised them...

Filing Bankruptcy less than seven years from last filing [ 1 Answers ]

I am disabled. Is it possible for me to file bankruptcy a second time within 5-7 years from the first filing? Can they come take my car?

Filing bankruptcy [ 4 Answers ]

What bills are you not allowed to file on your bankruptcy suite?

Filing taxes after bankruptcy filing [ 4 Answers ]

We filed for chapter7 personal bankruptcy in 2007. We gave up our house and business (franchise) because we could get fresh start. We wiped out ~200k in debt in the process.WE lost ~50OK in EQUITY from the house and money initially invested over the last 3 years in the business. Do you recommend...

Filing after bankruptcy [ 1 Answers ]

I filed Chpt 7 this year and I am wondering how it will, if it will affect my filing. What documents do I need to share with my accountant? etc.

View more questions Search