Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sammiesue Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2010, 05:05 PM
    Colors of dinosaurs
    I read a book a few weeks ago and the first sentence was No one knows what color the dinosaurs were... this made me think about it and I just wanted to know if this is true. While I was looking online and in all of my books about the dinosaurs, none of them said for sure what color they were. My friend and I have wanted to be paleontologists since first grade when she told me what it meant. So for about eight years I've been learning about them and this topic has never been there. I asked my friend what color she thought they were and she said green-gray like other reptiles, I told her that the reason she was able to answer me was because I asked her opinion on their color but if I had asked her what color they really were, she wouldn't be able to answer. Is this true or did I just not find the information that I was looking for?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 15, 2010, 05:12 PM

We don't know what colors they were. Just as today's reptiles and amphibians come in all colors and combinations of colors, it was probably so with dinosaurs. Their coloration may have depended on where they lived, what they ate, mating requirements, and what defenses they needed.

What Color Were the Dinosaurs? | Scholastic.com

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/28/science/28dino.html
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Nov 16, 2010, 09:57 PM

Scientists are not sure whether dinosaurs were warm blooded or cold blooded. If cold blooded then they were reptiles, warm blooded then they were not. But scientists say that actually some may have been either. And also that they may have been feathered with bright colors.

Were Dinosaurs Really Reptiles? | Big Site of Amazing Facts ©

Stringer
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 17, 2010, 02:29 PM

It's pretty clear that dinosaurs were not reptiles, but more closely related to modern birds. Like birds, they were warm-blooded even though they laid eggs. As to skin color - there is no way to be sure about that, but I would bet that there were many different colors of dinosaurs, just as there are many different colors of animals today. But it would seem logical that most would have been rather drab gray or brown, as that is usually the best for camoflauge - which is important regardless of whether you are a hunter (think of the colors of lions or wolves for example) or prey (gazelles, squirrels, etc). Of course there are exceptions - like the bright stripes on a tiger - so there were probably exceptions among the dinosaurs as well. But again: since no human has ever seen a dinosaur except as a collection of long dead bones, no one truly knows.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Old kids movie about dinosaurs [ 5 Answers ]

I think it was with dinosaurs but it could have been some other creature I can't remember for the life of me! Its seriously diving me nuts! All I remember is that it has some human characters who are friends with these dinosaurs or whatever and then at the end sometime the dinosaurs decide to...

Monitors colors suddenly gone... can't see the original colors while playing [ 2 Answers ]

Hi guys, I formatted my PC this Wednesday as I have not formatted it for 18 months.. & installed my games when I play game on my screen suddenly all colors messed up.I restarted it twice but no luck..? I don't know wats happening.. u guys any got idea.. Thanks in advance for any advice. :)

What Killed off the Dinosaurs [ 32 Answers ]

I don't know if I put this in the right category but me and my husband were arguing about what killed off the dinosaurs he says the ICEAGE and I say an ASTROID... Now what killed them off?

Dinosaurs [ 123 Answers ]

This question has been bothering me for a long time. The fossils of the dinosaurs are assessed to be millions of years old. Their skeltons are displayed in the museums. I am very staunch believer of the fact that God created the universe in six days. I do understand that the timeline of Lord God is...

The extinction of the dinosaurs has been associated with [ 23 Answers ]

I Have a list of possible answers, but am not to sure which one it is. Question:The extinction of the dinosaurs has been associated with Possible Answers: a) a layer of soot containing iridium. b) a meteor impact at the end of the Cretaceous that caused major cooling.

View more questions Search