Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    peggie2 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2010, 10:05 AM
    Verbally abusive son
    My son is 41 I am68 and he has bad bought of verbal abuse to me when I will not agree with him. It is not all the time but he bits at me sometimes. I also work with him. It get so bad I don't know what to do. I haveno money of my own as I have given it all to him. I was in an abusive marriage my ex-husbad was abusiver verbally to both my son and I.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 14, 2010, 11:10 AM

What goes around comes around I guess, peggie. I am sorry you are in this situation. You need to somehow distance yourself from him. This behavior is not good for you at your age. Surely you get paid and can live on your own away from him? Don't give him any more money if he works as well.

Tick
    Sunnyboy43 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2010, 05:45 AM
    Peggy you've had trouble establishing boundaries in the past, by the looks of it, but it's never too late to start. The never-ending cycle of abusive relationships are common but in no way acceptable. May I suggest you accept his (your son's) abuse because you still unconciously feel guilty that it's the aftermath of him being exposed to it, at a young tender age under your care, through your ex husband, and you're to somehow blame for not being able to effectively shield him from it then? Or perhaps you still respond to being abused by emotionally and physically shutting down to protect yourself and minimize the psychological damage on you, and act like it's "Not that bad" or "He has his reasons" which renders you void to do anything effective about it? But here you are reaching out on this post...
    Abusive people always require enablers. Peggy YOU ARE AN ENABLER! I'm sorry to say. Go easy on yourself, you probably felt to physically threatened or mentally oppressed for years to protect either yourself or your son in the early days, and now frail to adequately respond to your son's dysfunctional intimidating behavior. You're son is spiralling out of control and needs help. But the abuse should stop today! Right now! Whether your related to a co-worker or not harrassment's still harassment and in the workplace it is unacceptable, you are legally protected against it. You're doing him no favours by letting him walk all over you. Stop giving him money, its like feeding a dog every time he does something bad, pretty soon they don't think they're doing anything wrong even while they're peeing all over you! Abusers are cowards, they abuse people they have it over and never pick on people their own size. Sounds like a bit of tough love is in order, or as I prefer to call it; Love with spine.
    Hope things workout for you.
    kulala1 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2010, 08:24 PM
    From this situation of yours you need to leave him a period to cool down the major problem. If you need help you should tell someone you can trust with to help you. Because if I were you I do feel like abusing and scary, the only thing I can think of if I really am in that situation is leave right away. Good luck, I hope it gets better.
    teresag Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2012, 06:12 AM
    Wow- I am 57 and work with my 30 year old son and he abuses me daily, he blames me personally for everything wrong at work and he wants me to sack all the staff and he swears and calls me terrible names- he comes to my home when I am in bed and starts screaming at me - I have contemplated jumping under a train except I have a brother with MS who needs me to be about- my son hates that too and says I should leave him thereand not go round to see him. I am so scared.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Son Verbally Abusive To Me [ 6 Answers ]

My son just turned 30 and he and his wife live about 15 minutes away. They have a 2 1/2 year old boy, my grandson, that I love very much. I spend a lot of time with him and have even kept him over night. I have also been dating a man and we are now in an exclusive relationship. This weekend I...

What to do if your husband is verbally abusive [ 6 Answers ]

Just a quick question.

Verbally abusive engagement [ 5 Answers ]

I have been in a verbally abusive relationship for almost 4 years. I didn't realize it until about a year and a half ago... I thought it was just me. This man was very nice in the beginning, always buying me nice presents, and wanted me to try and better myself. He likes having titles (ie. Pilot,...

Verbally abusive boyfriend [ 9 Answers ]

How can I stop the verbal abuse?he just gets nastier and nastier everyday.and then wonders why I won't talk to him?

Verbally abusive husband [ 4 Answers ]

Hi this is a first time for me . I need some help I have been married for 13 years to a man who loves his children and wife. But is so verbal abusive that my son is now verbal to me like my husband treats me. He can be the most loving husband and dad that you could ever ask for and the next...

View more questions Search