Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Oneill474 Posts: 427, Reputation: 2

Nov 13, 2010, 04:26 AM
    Property Insurance
    I often wonder what my insurance agent gets out of my renewing my homeowners insurance each year.
    I am the one who picked the insurance carrier. I pay directly to the company. My agent once a year may
    Make a recommendation. That's is all he does. I do not know where he came from. I was assigned to my
    Current insurance company, by the state of Florida Insurance Commissioner.

joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Nov 13, 2010, 07:43 AM
    The agent is paid by the carrier. You can inquire about cheaper rates by calling the carrier, who may or may not have the option. You take the risk of having to deal with a large impersonal far away company if you have a claim. I take that risk with my car, but homeowners I would say you might want a more local, personal touch, depending on the value of your home and your net worth and floods/storms/etc where you live. Your choice. My parents had a large claim after storm damage and the direct, no agent company dragged it's feet for many months and was a horrible hassle. I doubt that they would have paid at all had I not intervened, days of phone calls.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 13, 2010, 01:55 PM

The agency where you have your policy ( all are paid direct to company normally) but the agent handles your account and paper work.

The agency will get from 10 to 15 percent of the amount paid, and then they pay an employee agent part of that, in some the selling agent may only get the first years commission and then the owner of the agency will get any renewal commission.

Almost no agent is an employee ( paid) by the insurance company and no the other poster is wrong about that, almost all agents even if employees are only paid commission on the sales. * blus bonus and some office expences.
    Oneill474 Posts: 427, Reputation: 2

Nov 13, 2010, 04:22 PM
    Very Interesting answers.. I have always paid my insurance premium myself. The Florida state run insurance carrier.
    assign me to another insurance company about five years ago.. But the Matrix Insurance Agency has never
    help me in anyway.When I ask them if my premium could be reduced.They told me my home is too old.
    and I would need a series of inspections.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 13, 2010, 07:09 PM

The issue of what the agent makes or does not make has little or no effect what you pay, ( basicly)

The premium you pay is based on what type of property you have, its age and condition. Premiums vary by company greatly,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I dispute a property insurance claim? [ 1 Answers ]

I had an above average fire at my home. The adjuster from my insurance company provided an estimate that does not address all the items damaged. The adjuster also wants to repair some items that all contractors say needs to be replaced. I just want my house back the way that it was. I feel like...

Coastal property insurance [ 1 Answers ]

I'm thinking about putting a bid in on a property beside a beach . I've heard insurance for coastal properties are higher than more inland properties? Is this true?

No insurance on private property. [ 1 Answers ]

I rented a moving truck, at time of rental I purchased insurance through the rental agency. I was involved in an accident at a gas station in Ohio. I was making a right turn out of the station and I had my right turn signal on. This guy pulls up on my right side, in my blind spot. I did not see...

? About insurance coverage to someone's property I damage [ 1 Answers ]

I damaged some property at an office building. It was my fault. Does my homeowner's liability insurance cover that? If not, is there insurance that does cover it?

View more questions Search