Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thefamilyman Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2010, 02:17 PM
    So as a father I have no right to my baby till its born?
    Me and my ex are not on really happy with each other she telling me I have no decision till the baby's born is that true? And what rights do I have when the baby born?

Nov 12, 2010, 02:19 PM
    Will my background hurt my chance when I go to court for a custody?
    I have a charges from when I was 15 thur 17 I'm 20 now will it hurt me in court
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 12, 2010, 02:45 PM

You have every right after the baby is born if you are the biological father.

Tick
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2010, 03:07 PM

You have no paternal rights until the baby is born. You'll have to file the appropriate motion in Family Court after the birth in order to get a judgment to assert your rights to visitation, joint custody or whatever else you want to pursue.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2010, 08:21 PM

What kind of charges were they? That makes a big difference.

Nov 12, 2010, 10:17 PM
    Comment on s_cianci's post
    Thank you this is very helpful

Nov 12, 2010, 10:18 PM
    Comment on twinkiedooter's post
    I have only misdormenors
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 13, 2010, 06:15 AM

I've merged your threads since they bear on the same issue.

I doubt if youthful misdemeanors will affect your getting joint legal custody and visitation. But its unlikely you will get more than that unless the mother is totally unfit.

Nov 13, 2010, 12:13 PM
    Comment on ScottGem's post
    Well I'm not really looking to take the kid from her I just want to see my kid that it she wants to take my right to see my kid so I'm going to fight for my right
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Nov 13, 2010, 12:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by s_cianci View Post
    You have no paternal rights until the baby is born. ...
    Correct. This flows, logically, from the judicially legislated case-law giving pregnant women sole discretion in matters of abortion.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Nov 13, 2010, 12:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by thefamilyman View Post
    me and my ex are not on really happy with each other she telling me i have no decison till the babys born is that true? and what rights do i have when the baby born?
    Think of it this way... there is no proof that you are the father until DNA testing can be performed. As others have said, pursue it once the baby is born.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it my baby before born? [ 6 Answers ]

Me and my girlfriend took a clear blue pregnancy test because she's been experiencing all the symptoms like itchy tender breasts, fatigued, and unusually hungry at times.. she says it would be about 3 weeks along but it kind of looks like she might be a little more along than she's saying.. I...

How long after a baby till I get my period [ 3 Answers ]

Hey guys sorry I've been away for a while but things have been hectic. But I'm back,. Hanna is almost 7 weeks and I was wondering when I will start my periods again? I'm not breastfeeding and my husband and I have been using condoms. Any idea?

In the state of Illinois how long does a father have till it is consider abandonment? [ 5 Answers ]

My name is Angela I have 3 kids. My oldest daughters father has not had anything todo with her since Mothers day 2006. He has not called he or even paid child support for her in over a year. My husband Russell is wanting to adopte her and that is what she wants. I have explained to her what...

Does the father have rights before the baby is born even though I'm under age? [ 8 Answers ]

Okay my name is Anastasia and I'm 17 and pregnant and my boyfriend is the father who is 18. My parents didn't press charges or anything because they really cant. But they won't let me see him or anything. Even thought I'm underage does he still have rights before the baby iis born to see me and...

Supporting father of baby about to be born [ 4 Answers ]

I am almost nine months pregnant and the father is living with me. I have been supporting him for 7 months because he keeps promising to get some income. He does not seem to be trying very hard. He also is verbally abusive and threatens to leave me and never speak to me again if I don't keep paying...

View more questions Search