Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    verycurious Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Jan 5, 2007, 10:27 AM
    Protein Powder Concern
    I'm deciding whether to start taking protein powders to gain muscle, but have been told by some that protein powders contain traces of steroids and should just stick to natural foods. Others tell me otherwise as they mix scoops of powders made of chemicals they can hardly pronounce into their drinks. Who's right and who's wrong? Should I start using it? And if so, which brand is best?
    -Thanks
    s2tp Posts: 299, Reputation: 61

Jan 5, 2007, 10:45 AM
    If you are concerned about it use a pure whey protein powder and mix it into protein drinks. The pure whey powder does not have any other additives.

My friend says he has never heard of and doesn't think it is possible to even have steroids in protein drinks as they are against US law unless prescribed a dr.

He is a body builder and he reccomends musclemilk, he lives by it.

He got me into Bodybuilding.com. They have a lot of good information on all sorts of products. I find them unbiased as well.. meaning they don't get 'paid off' to say good things about whatever company wants to give them a good review. They let you compare prices and ingredients of everything.
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Jan 5, 2007, 11:14 AM
    I agree. I use whey protein myself, usually GNC brand, and have suffered no adverse effects myself. I would be wary of anything but whey powders though. Many of the ingredients added to others shakes aren't particularly safe, or at least not if certain precautions aren't followed -- such as consuming adequate water with creatine.
    I also doubt there are any traces of (anabolic) steroids in these mixtures, but whey alone will likley give you more than adequate results with proper nutrition.
    If by chance you are in your teens and still growing, do be careful about excess protein intake. Though this is always a potential concern with adults as well, and can lead to kidney and liver dysfunction among other things.
    Be well. Take care.
    verycurious Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Jan 11, 2007, 08:33 AM
    Thanks for the concern. By the way, I am in fact a teenager, and yes I will be sure to control and maintain my protein intake to a healthy level. I'm thinking about getting the Optimum 100% whey protein, which consists of things I know and can actually pronounce.
    Thanks again u guys.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Concern [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm a 40 year old woman, and for the last two weeks my breasts have been in pain to the touch,

Concern [ 2 Answers ]

I am a single mom with sixteen year old son , I have been receiving child support for him , every since he was 2 years old. His father and I have never married. Until recently his father became disabled , amd my son now receives benefits from his record. I was getting child support thourgh the...

Protein powder [ 2 Answers ]

How long before protein powder expires?

Protein Powder [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I was wondering would know if a protein powder can be harmful passed its expiration date? Thanks, Rik

Concern [ 1 Answers ]

I'm 22 and I have been experiencing sharp breast pain, and I have a light spotting. I have been on the ortho tri-cyclen for 3 months and this is the first one that spotting and breast pain occur. I had my period 10 ago and I don't know what to think. Is this something due to the pill or should I...

View more questions Search