Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    liverpool75 Posts: 58, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2010, 06:07 AM
    Curved nails on bearded dragon
    Hi I recently bought another bearded dragon off a person who sold it cheap its about 3 years old and the problem with him is his nails have curved I think due to the lack of a uv bulb in the tank the previous owner kept him in.when I have him sitting on me he seems to be losing his grip.question is can I cut them with a nail cutters.I know that they have veins in their nails but I can't seem to see them.some1 told me to cut the nails and if it bleeds just to dab some flour on it to stop the beeding.has anyone got any ideas I tried looking at vids on YouTube but the videos said nutting about curved nails.any advice would be great
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Nov 16, 2010, 09:28 PM

I know absolutely nothing about dragons so everything I'm telling you is a guess, based on other pets I've had.

I would assume that you can cut his nails. They do have special nail clippers with little lights in them so you can see the qwik (the blood vessel) and avoid it.

It hurts if you cut the qwik, so it would be best to avoid that. If you cut too close you can also cripple an animal.

They also have something called qwik stop. If you cut the qwik and it bleeds you dab some on and it stops. Flour does work too, I've used that on my dogs when I've cut their nails (their nails are black, even with the lighted clippers you can't see the qwik). The only bad thing about flour is that it takes a while to work so the animal must remain still for around 5 minutes for it to work. The qwik stop is better.

I would definitely try to cut his nails. If they're curved they could eventually grow into his paw or whatever you call it with a dragon. That could cripple him too.

You could always talk to your vet, see if someone experienced could cut them for you and show you how.

Good luck.
    liverpool75 Posts: 58, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2010, 11:57 PM
    Comment on Altenweg's post
    Cheers thanks for the advice I'll look into getting one of those nail clippers you mentioned
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Nov 17, 2010, 12:55 AM

Let me know how it goes. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

White bearded dragon [ 7 Answers ]

An old kids movie or show from the 80's or 90's, has a big white bearded dragon type cloud monster

Bearded dragon sick [ 1 Answers ]

About 2 years ago I got a bearded dragon for free from someone I don't know its age but its full size and possibly old? But it doesn't eat anything except for superworms, I've tried crickets several times and he tries to eat them but doesn't seem to want to try and chase them. I don't know if he's...

Bearded dragon [ 8 Answers ]

I was just curious if anyone else on site has 1? I have a super red and his 1 yr old. I'll post pics when I get home, I h ope you do the same. Dragons are awsome :) :D ha ha

View more questions Search