Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    varon119 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2010, 10:16 PM
    Formation of ester
    How do you form 2-propyl cyclopentylmethanoate and 2-butyl hexanoate? Which alcohol and acid is require to produce the ester? Thanks. Your input is appreciated.
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2010, 10:34 PM

2-propyl cyclopentylmethanoate

This is formed from the acid methanoic acid because you have 'methanoate'

Then, you have 2-propyl-cyclopentyl as the derivative of the alcohol. What do you think is the alcohol?
    DrBob1 Posts: 425, Reputation: 86

Nov 12, 2010, 08:05 AM
    Long ago it was noticed that an ACID + a BASE made a SALT + water and that an ACID + an ALCOHOL made an ESTER + water. These can be written as, for instance, sodium hydroxide (NaOH) + acetic acid --> sodium acetate (CH3CO2Na) + H2O and Ethyl alcohol (C2H5OH) + acetic acid --> ethyl acetate (CH3CO2C2H5)+ H2O. The ester got named like the salt. It stuck.
    So here you have esters of 2-propylcyclopentanol and methanoic acid (formic acid) and another made from 2-butanol and hexanoic acid (caproic acid). [Check the spacing in the name of your first ester -- it's incorrect]
    I'll bet they smell GOOD!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ester Williams Pools [ 1 Answers ]

I have an Ester Williams semi Inground Pool Millenium>I have had the pool for 4 years and the pool runs on Salt.I noticed this year for the first time below the skimmer basket at ground level corrsion on the aluminum.I know the skimmer basket is really small and water splashes out of the basket...

Formation of Lakes [ 1 Answers ]

What great geological event explains the formation of the Great Lakes, the St. Lawrence River system, the Columbia -Snake River system, and Great Salt Lake?

Sentence Formation In french. [ 4 Answers ]

:confused: Okay. I was told subject+verb+adjective+Cir(time,location) = A proper french sentence and some about Prepositions such as Dans, à et de. My problem is forming a sentence. For example: ENGLISH Musicians specialize in different music types from jazz to rock. FRENCH

Dyrham formation [ 1 Answers ]

What type of rock is the Dyrham formation and which geological basin can it be found in ?

Ice formation [ 3 Answers ]

Why does tap water freeze more rapidly than cold water?

View more questions Search