Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wesa98 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2010, 01:10 PM
    After every other weekend visits with his father he comes home with violent behavoir
    My spouse left me when out youngest son was 3 omths old. We also have a 14 year old son together. He left for another woman. When my 4 year old son comes back from his every other weekend visits he is violent. I have documentation from the school progress reports that will back me up on this.He mistreats other classmates and his older brother. Is there any grounds to request less visitation with the father? He is a sales clerk at a gun shop and always have the boys at the shooting range. My oldest son said that there is always a loaded gun in the house within the 4 year olds reach. My oldest son is scared to death of his father and stepmom because they always threaten to send him to military school. I feel like they are blackmailing him. I am scared for both of my sons and don't know what to do. My oldest son told me that his dad put a gun to my head one night while I was sleeping and I was never aware of this until years later. What can I do?
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Nov 11, 2010, 02:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by wesa98 View Post
    My spouse left me when out youngest son was 3 omths old. We also have a 14 year old son together. He left for another woman. When my 4 year old son comes back from his every other weekend visits he is violent. I have documentation from the school progress reports that will back me up on this.He mistreats other classmates and his older brother. Is there any grounds to request less visitation with the father? He is a sales clerk at a gun shop and always have the boys at the shooting range. My oldest son said that there is always a loaded gun in the house within the 4 year olds reach. My oldest son is scared to death of his father and stepmom becuase they always threaten to send him to military school. I feel like they are blackmailing him. I am scared for both of my sons and dont know what to do. My oldest son told me that his dad put a gun to my head one night while I was sleeping and I was never aware of this until years later. What can I do?
    You can try filing for a modification but I don't know that it would do you any good at this point. You have no "proof" that the father is the problem.

If the child is becoming angry, you need to get to the root of the problem - cutting his father out of his life isn't going to accomplish that. Have you tried discussing what the problem is with your son? Ask him why he's being mean but don't point out to him that the change in behavior is after his father's visitation.

If there is a loaded gun in the house, that is something of great concern and needs to be addressed. You should discuss this with your ex.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Nov 11, 2010, 04:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by this8384 View Post
    If there is a loaded gun in the house, that is something of great concern and needs to be addressed. You should discuss this with your ex.
    There was a time when there was at least one loaded gun in just about every home in the nation. It wasn't a problem then, and if children are properly trained it needn't be a problem now. Children should be taught that all firearms should always be treated as being loaded, and that loaded firearms are dangerous. They should be taught to never touch them without permission, and only if properly trained.

OP's son is 4 years old, almost old enough to start attending school. He can be properly trained regarding firearm safety.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Nov 11, 2010, 07:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    There was a time when there was at least one loaded gun in just about every home in the nation. It wasn't a problem then, and if children are properly trained it needn't be a problem now. Children should be taught that all firearms should always be treated as being loaded, and that loaded firearms are dangerous. They should be taught to never touch them without permission, and only if properly trained.

OP's son is 4 years old, almost old enough to start attending school. He can be properly trained regarding firearm safety.
    The question wasn't regarding your belief on what is an appropriate age to have a gun around a child. It was regarding a noted change in her son's personality after visitation with his father.

And one of the first things they teach in hunter's safety is that you UNLOAD your weapon immediately after use. Only a complete moron would keep a loaded gun in a house with a child.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 11, 2010, 07:42 PM

First it is hard to know if this is true, and if that "loaded" gun is property secured. I have one loaded in my house, but it is easy to access but also secured. ( love modern gun security)

The issue here is that he could also turn this, and show that his behavior shows a need for more visits, that the child is not seeing him enough to be properly used to him.
    So expect a counter motion if you file.

1. his owning a gun shop will not really be evidence.
    2. the loaded gun may or may not be an issue to court, but only to require him to keep it locked, not take away visits.
    3. behavior, he will claim it is your behavior about the visits causing it, you will claim it is him, court will most likely do nothing

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Probation home visits [ 5 Answers ]

Does anyone know how often a probation officer visits your home. I wasn't home last Monday and he came and left a card. I was dropping urine for the courts. Anyway, I have not told my children that I am on probation, I wondered if he was just making a one time visit or will he come every month. ...

My daughter does not want over night visits or travel with her father what can I do [ 9 Answers ]

My daughter is 9 and has always had minimal contact with her dad he would go months with out talking to her at times and would visit for a week every year and a half. He is with a person that has said she was going to replace my daughter and named her daughter like mine. Now his family does not...

Uscis home visits [ 1 Answers ]

A uscis immigration officer visits my home to check if my marriage is bona-fide. He was happy to see us together & he advised that my case would be approved within 4 to 6 weeks. Its been 4 weeks & still haven't heard anything from them. Should I be worried about my case being denied? Has anyone...

My sons father filed a motion to keep our son evey weekend [ 1 Answers ]

My sons father has been seeing our son again since February.. my son stays with him every other weekend he's 6... and all of a sudden he filed a motion stating he wants our son every weekend and to decrease his child support... will court grant this what should I do... I work my but off and during...

View more questions Search