Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    berrysweetncgurl Posts: 166, Reputation: 19

Nov 11, 2010, 07:30 AM
    NC Child Support and Unemployment
    My child's father and I go to court tomorrow for a modification on the child support order already in place. We both live in NC, our original order is for him to pay $92 per month. The last time we went to court for the order, he quit his job the week before child support court... so they based the support order on him being unemployed (he was not receiving unemployment benefits at that time) This time we are going to court and he receives $325 a week unemployment benefits, but he was also working (on the books may I add) well of course when he found out about court tomorrow, he quit that job last Friday (11/5) The child support worker has been very hard to deal with and pretty much "on his side" she says he has no earned income to base the child support on. My question is, can the child support order be based on the amount he receives weekly from unemployment? I know that unemployment benefits can be garnished for child support, but can the order be based on what he is paid in unemployment. If not, is there a way I can show the judge that he quits his job before each child support court date? I find it very unfair that they can base his order on him making "$0.00" when in fact he draws the $325.00 a week unemployment, is a brick mason who does side jobs, and makes very good money doing that. Im so very frustrated with this
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2010, 08:52 AM

The child support can be based on the amount he receives for unemployment compensation. Alternatively, you can ask the judge to impute an income figure to him and base the child support on that. If you can demonstate that he has marketable skills (such as brick laying) and that he has a history of quitting good, substantial jobs solely for the purpose of evading child support, then that may be your best bet.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child Support - 2 child living at separate parents - 1 child turning 18 soon. [ 6 Answers ]

I will try not to make this too long but I went through a 3 year court battle with my ex with our 2 kids who are now 17 (Daughter) and 15 (Son). My son has been living with his dad since he was like 9 because I let him. Court battle was dropped due to judge thinking my ex was lying after 3 years...

I owe back child support, will child support garnish the whole tax return? [ 3 Answers ]

Will child support garnish the whole tax return?

Can a father of a child force child support on a mother that gave up the child willing [ 13 Answers ]

While my wife and I were split up she got pregnant ( while on the birth control implant). I myself am fixed ( we didn't want anymore kids) and we couldn't afford to have more kids if wanted them. We thought about giving the child up for adoption but it turns out the father wants the child. He...

Unemployment payments to child support [ 3 Answers ]

I have collected unemployement in the state of NJ for 6 months and payments were applied to my child support obligation . I now live in another state - and have filed unemployment again from my recent job where I was laid off. WIll the unemployment payments from this state be directly applied to...

Unemployment garnishment for child spport [ 2 Answers ]

Can family law come after my unemployment benifits; that were just awarded to me, for back payment on a child support judgement against me? If so, are they allowed to take the funds in their entirity?

View more questions Search