Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pmnewbury Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2010, 09:19 AM
    My newly installed asphalt driveway is pitted in areas
    We have a brand new asphalt driveway 24hrs old that has areas of pitting (more visible aggregate with pits the size of dimes to quarters and up 1/4" deep). I would estimate that at least 50% of the driveway has this appearance while the other 50% is smoother in appearance. It would seem to me that these pitted areas will contribute to the weakening the surface as water collects and freezers... Should I expect the contractor to correct this?
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Nov 10, 2010, 06:59 PM

There are many different "Wears" kinds of asphalt. That said, there could be a couple of reasons for the "pitting"

The batch plant mixing up the asphalt may have had a bad batch or different batch mixes between the different trucks that delivered it.

Its not impossible that one of the truck drivers loaded up the wrong "Wear" at the batch plant and once in in the truck it has to go somewhare..

My best guess would be too much time between trucking asphalt and placing it which can cause the look you have on part of the driveway.

If a truck with a load of hot asphalt is waiting to long and it cools down too much before placing it this could cause your "pitting" look simply because it too cool to compact / melt together.

Its extremely Important to place asphalt at its workable desired temperature. When asphalt Contractors pave state roads there's a state inspector there that actually measure the temperature of the placed asphalt the moment it placed..

I would call at least 3 other reputable asphalt contractors and have them look at it. Also I would find out where that asphalt came from "Batch Plant" and inquire what can cause your problem.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 10, 2010, 08:43 PM
    If this is only 24hrs old, get the contractor back.

Nov 11, 2010, 07:42 PM
    Comment on 21boat's post
    Thanks for the detailed information. My suspicion is that the asphalt was not sufficiently hot when it was being laid and compacted. Thanks again for your response.

Nov 11, 2010, 07:45 PM
    Comment on ma0641's post
    Thanks - I did call the contractor with my concern on the appearance of the asphalt surface. I'm still waiting for him to communicate something back to me.
    arleray Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2013, 05:41 PM
    Did you ever hear back from your contractor and what did he do? I've just had the same thing happento me.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Asphalt driveway [ 9 Answers ]

I recently (45 days ago) had my driveway paved. Now there is a lot of grass growing up in the driveway, not along the edges but up in the middle of the driveway. How can I kill it. I have tried roundup and it makes the asphalt slimy but does not kill the grass. My $16000 driveway is starting to...

Soft Asphalt Driveway [ 3 Answers ]

I had my driveway paved last Tuesday. 6 days later, it is scarring when vehicles drive on it and you can see your foot print when you walk on it. The temperature has been hot a couple of days (80) but otherwise quite moderate (60). Any ideas? I have to call the guy but suspect I may get the...

New asphalt driveway [ 6 Answers ]

I just had a new asphalt driveway installed yesterday. How lond do I need to wait before I should drive on it? Thanks

Should I resurface my asphalt driveway or get a complete new asphalt driveway [ 3 Answers ]

My asphalt driveway looks so bad that my insurance company has considered it a serious hazard. Do I resurface the existing driveway. I have a contractor telling me that he would level the existing driveway and place a 2 inch top coat of asphalt on top. Will a resurface last just as long as a...

Asphalt Driveway Resurface [ 5 Answers ]

Our existing asphalt driveway is 21 years old and looks it. We were going to replace it with concrete, but with quotes coming in at around $5K to $6K, when I stopped crying I realized resurfacing the asphalt is the wise choice. The driveway is 25' long by 17' wide. It does have a puddling...

View more questions Search