Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thomaschalkley Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2010, 07:31 AM
    How do Summons in the state of Va have to be served?
    Can the separated Wife walk into my house when I am not there and leave a summons on the counter?
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Nov 10, 2010, 08:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by thomaschalkley View Post
    Can the separated Wife walk into my house when I am not there and leave a summons on the counter?
    I assume she left a summons for divorce, correct? Page 4 of this PDF document:
    http://www.pwcgov.org/docLibrary/PDF/007875.pdf
    Clearly states that you must accept service. She cannot legally leave the papers in your house and consider that service.

Virginia law also states that if there are no children shared between you under the age of 18, you must be separated for a minimum of six months before being able to file. If there are children, then you must be separated for a full year. You will also need to have a marital property settlement agreement signed by both parties in order to file.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2010, 09:17 AM

It depends on the laws of your state. Some require personal service while others don't.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2010, 10:58 AM

Here is the relivant Virginia Code... for serving individuals.

LIS > Code of Virginia > 8.01-296

It appears that on a Main entrance door is acceptable but not by any means the only way... but not left laying just anyplace. But read the link yourself... its legalese but not that hard to read (not all that easy either). If you have a college level education anyway.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Summons served to the next [ 4 Answers ]

I was served a summons and it was delivered to my next door of which my sister found them reading my summons. Is it OK if the sheriff delivers my summons to my next door?

Served a summons [ 2 Answers ]

How do I answer this summons,is there a form, do I write a letter, do I call them? What are the procedures to fight back?

Summons served [ 4 Answers ]

I was served a summons to answer about a credit card debt, I was never given the opportunity to have the debt validated, if I answer the summons can I still request the collection agency validate the debt after I answer the summons?

Served with Summons [ 3 Answers ]

I was served a summons from a lawyer. It has to do with collections of a credit card debt when I was laid off work 5 years ago. I have not paid on this in 5 years. The summons does not have a court date. It just says I must reply. Is there a certain way to respond to a summons? Do I need a lawyer...

View more questions Search