Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Karri Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2007, 10:36 PM
    Step Parent Adoption
    My husband and I are looking for information on how I can adopt his son. Currently, my husband has joint legal custody, however this will hopefully change to sole custody after our court date at the end of the month. Does the biological mother have to sign off on it? Does she have to stop paying child support?
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Jan 4, 2007, 10:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Karri
    My husband and I are looking for information on how I can adopt his son. Currently, my husband has joint legal custody, however this will hopefully change to sole custody after our court date at the end of the month. Does the biological mother have to sign off on it? Does she have to stop paying child support?
    Yes, the biological mother must sign approving the adoption giving up all her natural rights as the mother. I don't think there is any law that says "she has to stop paying child support" but wouldn't a mother who is giving up her rights to her child, wouldn't she want to stop paying ? I guess she could keep paying, I don't think any Court would stop her. This is just my untrained opinion. On matters of legal importance like this, an attorney is your best source of advice of course.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jan 15, 2007, 01:41 PM
    She would have to give consent for you to adopt your husband's son. Once you do, she stops paying child support.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 15, 2007, 03:00 PM
    Yes, if you wish to adopt the child, the bio mother will have to sign over all her rights and sign to allow you to adopt the child. Once the child is adopted then she no longer has to pay child support,
    arhouston Posts: 19, Reputation: 0

Jul 3, 2007, 03:59 PM
    does she want to give up her rights I'm in the same boat instead
    my my husband wants to adopt my 2 yr old son he's been a father to him since he was 3 months old my x & I have joint legal custody too his visitation has been been suspended but I don't think he's going to give up his rights were just waiting for the right time now were working on getting my son's last name changed to my husbands last name he currently has MY madien name
    GOOD LUCK!! REPORT BACK TO US WE WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW THINGS WORK OUT

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Step parent adoption [ 4 Answers ]

My daughter got pregnant by someone she doesn't want to be with. During her pregnancy she married a man and he wants to be the father of the baby. The bio father has said to leave him alone. We were told that since she was married at the time of the birth that the babies last name will be the...

Any parent out there? [ 6 Answers ]

My husband and I are married and have four children. We both parents working but always manage for one of us to be home when the children get home from school or the grandparents. My children age are 14, 12, 10 and 6. Last night, I found my oldest daughter locked herself in the bathroom and was...

Step parent [ 1 Answers ]

Does anybody know anything about step parents rights? Do we have any? Where do I look to find out more?

View more questions Search