Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    99arab99 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2007, 09:01 PM
    Getting the correct lead
    Hi... I am having a really hard time getting my horse to pick up his right lead. Other than the basic/standard positoning for the lead does anyone have any suggestions or ideas to help him pick it up? Thanks. Kim
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2007, 10:21 PM
    This could possibly be a balance issue.
    Sometimes, riders are a bit off balance, or one stirrup is longer than the other. (Often the mounting side stirrup stretches longer from heavier use.) An unbalanced rider can interfere with the balance of the horse and so affect the lead. If the horse is repeatedly ridden like this, he might just be conditioned to canter on only one lead while mounted. (Anything repeated over and over trains and conditions a horses response.)
    Another reason a horse may take the incorrect lead can result from lack of correct contact through the reins. The rein contact we provide for the horse is sort of like a balancing beam for them. When riding western with the reins in one hand, the contact often becomes quite uneven which unbalances a horse and interferes with a canter lead. Often when reining a horse to the left (one-handed neck-reining), the right rein can actually get pulled too tight. Then instead of helping the horse go left, you end up turning the horses nose to the right. When riding with reins in two hands, a horse can be unbalanced by over-using a direct rein, and not supporting with enough contact on the indirect rein.
    To help a horse to canter on the correct lead, understanding the sequence of the movement of the feet. The canter is a three beat gait. The outside hind leg is the first leg to strike the ground in a canter stride=beat 1. The inside front leg, (the leading leg) is actually the last leg to strike the ground in a canter stride=beat 3. The other two legs strike the ground together as beat 2.
    Picture the canter so: The hindquarters drop low and under to support the horse and riders weight on it's outside back leg (beat 1) so that it can lift the forehand up and spring into a balanced canter. I recommend that you spend some time watching and studying horses cantering as long as it takes until you can recognize the 1,2,3 pattern from back to front. Understanding this should help you to simplify your cues.
    In cueing your horse to take a right lead, you should be signaling the hind left leg to move first. That is where the canter starts. The horse, in order to start with the correct foot, needs to have himself balanced over his hindquarters so he can get that back left leg to come up underneath himself to start correctly. Knowing the 1-2-3 beat lets you feel when your horse is in the correct balance for you to ask him/her to start. A little to early or a little to late and you could possibly be on the wrong lead. Pay close attention to his/her shoulders - it's a little difficult to explain, but you may understand what I'm talking about. It takes practice. The more you practice the easier it will become.
    Unfortunately, not everyone understands this, and they think to get a right lead they need to lean to the right or put their weight over the horses right leading foreleg, (which remember is the last leg to strike the ground in the sequence). Or, they try pulling the horse's head to the right to force him onto the right lead. These two methods may sometimes work, but the result will be an unbalanced, uncomfortable canter which encourage a horse to hollow his back and fall on his fore-hand.
    Also, you can get your horse to practice picking up the right lead when lunging in a circle. If the right lead is not picked up, slow your horse down and keep trying until he gets it correctly.
    Hope this helps.
    Kae
    coxcows Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2007, 09:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 99arab99
    Hi...I am having a really hard time getting my horse to pick up his right lead. Other than the basic/standard positoning for the lead does anyone have any suggestions or ideas to help him pick it up? Thanks. Kim
    I have a gelding that does not like to go but in the right lead. You might try riding him bareback to really get the feel of him or try switching to an english saddle for a bit. You will really have to put your hip into him so that he can feel you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Correct word use [ 3 Answers ]

Incorrect: It is essential that you are on time. Correct: It is essential that you be on time. Incorrect: He suggested that we should meet at the train. Correct: He suggested that we meet ate the train. Please can you tell me what is the logic behind using "be" instead of "are" in the first...

Correct accounts? [ 2 Answers ]

Could someone please let me know if I am doing this properly. Thanks. Question: Sold merchandise on credit to Leroy Hackett, invoice # 854 , $15,800.00 (cost of sales $1027) Do I enter this information into merchandise inventory, PST payable, GST payable, Sales, Cost of goods sold, and...

What is the correct way? [ 2 Answers ]

My parenst own their house and want to put my name on the trust. However, I'm married but my parents do not want my husband to have his name on it. What is the correct ways of doing this? Nikki

Correct Form [ 1 Answers ]

If a guy is neither a citizen of United States of America nor a permanent Resident of USA. Can he use Form 1040 for filing his return.

Is This Correct? [ 13 Answers ]

Could someone tell me if I have these correct and if not what'd I do wrong. Thank you. January 8 Purchased a one-year insurance policy, effective February 1, for $3,360. Debit: Insurance Expense Credit: Prepaid Insurance Completed several consulting jobs, which totaled $52,000. Cash of...

View more questions Search