Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ShepherdLover Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2010, 06:09 PM
    German Shepherd wont't eat by himself, why?
    My shepherd is almost 3 years old and won't eat by himself. We had a labrador until about 1 month ago we gave him away because he was teaching our shepherd how to get out of the fence. Since we have given him away, our shepherd won't eat by himself unless I stand there and tell him to eat and point at him bowl. Do anyone out there have a answer for me? Thanks
    Just_Another_Lemming Posts: 437, Reputation: 211

Nov 8, 2010, 05:38 AM

I am surprised you haven't made the connection. Your shepherd misses his playmate.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Nov 8, 2010, 06:09 AM

Dogs can go through episodes of depression just like humans can. Sounds just like what just another said, your shepherd is missing his companion.

Had you considered correcting your labs behavior before handing him off to someone else?
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Nov 8, 2010, 07:08 PM

Your shepherd is missing it's buddy, but you are also perpetuating the problem by re-assuring him while he is eating, so he probably feels uneasy.
    Leave him be, and don't hover.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

German Shepherd always scratches himself! [ 4 Answers ]

My friend has a large purebred German shepherd who seems to constantly have some sort of itch! The house has been exterminated within an inch of its life and he still scratches. Any suggestions as to what might be causing this and what to do about it will be hugely appreciated.:)

German Shepherd [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I've got a 12 month GSD with quite a few problems. He is very dominant. I can't go near his food bowl when he's eating, when I take him for a walk I have to keep him on a lead otherwise he runs off, if any other dog comes near he tries to attack it. I don't work during the day and I got...

German Shepherd puppy will not eat [ 1 Answers ]

I just got Akeira Friday evening and she ate a little about 2 hours after we got her home. She got sick about 2 hours later and I can not get her to eat anything. She has drank some water off and on. I don't know what else to do. My vet will not be in her office until Wednesday. Any suggestions...

German Shepherd [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 1 1/2 year old male German Shepherd. He is highly socialized and has been through training. He has never had any real aggression other than the barking at strangers when entering the home. He was neutured at six months. Yesterday, I was at a college event outside at the park. A friend...

German Shepherd Training [ 8 Answers ]

I have a German Shepherd pup who like most German Shepherds is very intelligent. I am in the process of training her and I have run into some problems. It seems she get's a little nervous while working and then get's confused and want's to hide or run in circles with her ears back. She is never...

View more questions Search