Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    selena_xoxo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2010, 03:12 PM
    Q:I want to do singing as a job but how can I get into it any tips?
    I want to be a singer as my job but how can I do singing if I am not famous dose anyone have any tips that can help?
    Me be one??
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 7, 2010, 03:22 PM

First, learn how to play piano or guitar or some other instrument. That way you will understand how music is notated and arranged.

Then, sing in school choirs and choruses, in musicals, sing in the church choir, and sing with others at nursing homes, etc. Go Christmas caroling.

Ask your parents to find you a voice teacher. Many young people don't know how to sing properly, and have lots of icky vibrato and wiggly chins, because they didn't learn how to sing the correct way. Your voice will end up in ruins if you don't do this right.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 7, 2010, 03:28 PM

A booking agent if possible, and realize that it can take years and even then many do not make all of their income from music but work a secondary job.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2010, 03:34 PM

Hello s:

Look in your paper or online for auditions. When you find one that suits your talents, go.

excon
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2010, 01:24 AM
    Hi, selena_xoxo!

I don't know where you live, but around where I do, there are some theaters that hire people to act and/or sing that aren't "famous" but just simply would like to get a start doing what they love to do.

So, you might want to check if there might be a dinner theater or other type of theater around where you are that might hire you for what you like to do.

Thanks!
    eokhuijzen Posts: 33, Reputation: 4

Nov 12, 2010, 01:46 AM
    I think it is wonderful to pursue your dreams and I don't want to dissapoint you. However, you need to be realistic about this. I am a singer. I have sang with bands and in lounges. I have made some decent money here and there. Your best option is to seek out lounges but it depends on what you sing. You also have to remember that this is a talent that many many people have. Something has to REALLY stick out about you. Now, I don't know you so maybe it does. You have to separate yourself. Calling around to any lounge/bars or restaurants can be your first start. They will want to hear you first. If you need a back up band go on craigslist. But trust me, the more people involved the less money. If you can play and sing that is the best. You really don't get paid squat. This is why this is not a very realistic career. Now, if money doesn't matter to you and you just want to live in a small apartment and fulfill your dream the rest of your life go for it girl! But you need to ask yourself long term questions. Do you want a family some day? Do you want to own a home or a nice car? Singing makes little money and it is not steady work. Do it on the side with another job. You could be the next Kelly Clarkson... so don't give up. Just be realistic and know those chances are very slim. Trust me, the life style is fun for awhile but gets really old when you want to settle down.
    Geordielad Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2011, 12:04 AM
    If your'e serious about wanting to sing for a living I'd suugest you type up a letter and send out a few copies to your local care homes, it's a fun way of making money, it's easy and it give's a lot of satisfaction to both yourself and to the elderly folk's in the home's.
    You will be surprised at how easy it is to find singing work in this sector, you won't have to work very long in one home either, you will find that 90 minute's max is the normal requirement for which you could charge a respectable fee of around £40 - £60, if your'e doing this in your spare time you only need 3 or 4 booking per week to make it pay, for example 4 gig's per week at £50 per gig = £200 for doing something you love, just image roping in 8 or 10 per week!!
    If you can sing and you would enjoy entertaining the elderly then you would be a fool not to give it a go, after all what have you got to lose.
    My brother has been making money via this route now for the last 7 years in Northumberland, he actually turn's down more work than you would believe, he does the same venues every single week and has plenty of spare time to fit in special event's when asked to do so as and when he chooses and he earn's in excess of £600 per week, every week!!
    I wouldn't suggest you try this if you are a rock performer or a rap artist but if you can knock out a few old fashioned ballads from the 50's & 60's then this is for you. I guarantee that you won't ever look back.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Who sings: "I want to, want to, want to be your boyfriend... Running with my car" [ 0 Answers ]

"if you wanna be my..." I know it's not much information but I can't remember anything else. I was sung by a guy with a funny voice in the eighties. It's not the Ramones. Thanks in advance.

Singing tips? [ 10 Answers ]

So, my Because is in this band and I really want to be in it. It's an all guy band and I'm a girl but, I think he would let me do some back-up volcals (Can't spell, lol) I've asked this before but, not getting any answers. How can I sound better? I'm not that bad a singer but, I'm not trained. And...

Tips for Job Hunting in Today's Market [ 1 Answers ]

I am doing a topic sentence for the subject Tips for Job Hunting in Today's Market. I do not want to plagerize. I have started my sentence with the following: *In today’s job market, finding a job can seem very difficult or overwhelming, especially if it has been a while since you looked for a...

Tips for job hunting in today market [ 7 Answers ]

Can someone help me with some tips about today job market

Tips for job hunting [ 3 Answers ]

I need a paragraph of five sentences for the subject: tips for job hunting in today's market.

View more questions Search