Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    happy05 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2010, 08:15 AM
    Denied Unemployment
    Denied Unemployment decision based on leaving Voluntarily. Need help with appeal letter. My spouse is active duty military and is base in GA coming from VA where I worked at the same job for 5 years. I worked for the Federal Government.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Nov 7, 2010, 08:19 AM

When you quit a job voluntarily you do not qualify for unemployment. What is your argument for appealing? If you were forced to quit it could be considered a termination. For example, if they changed you from days to nights and you couldn't possibly work nights; or if in order to keep the job you had to relocate. If you quit to move with your husband you are not entitled to unemployment and should focus your energy on just getting another job.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 7, 2010, 08:23 AM

Yes, you need to show why you did not quit, you will need to tell in the letter who fired you, or who laid you off.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2010, 08:31 AM

Hello h:

If you quit because your active duty military husband was transferred, THAT would be grounds, in my view, to reconsider your application...

But, that doesn't sound like what happened... If it did, just say that. If not, please clarify.

excon

Nov 7, 2010, 01:07 PM
    Comment on excon's post
    Thank you for you response. Yes I gave 2 weeks notice because my husband received orders to report to Fort Benning GA. He was stationed at Fort Belvoir VA for 5 years. Yes, he is my sponsor so I had to follow. Yet the VA unemployment office denied me

Nov 7, 2010, 01:13 PM
    If you quit to move with your husband you are not entitled to unemployment and should focus your energy on just getting another job.
    I would like to comment on this. In most families it takes two incomes coming in and to have to relocate and have loss of income is devastating to the family unit. I have been looking for over 3 months and have not found a job. I have a Masters degree and very willing to try other opportunities outside of my field of expertise. This is a big reason why the military loses active duty soldiers is the financial hardship it causes.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2010, 02:08 PM

I don't think you have anything to appeal with if you gave 2 week's notice that you were in fact leaving. That in itself means that you thought ahead of time and decided you are leaving volunitarily.

Unfortunately, just being the spouse of someone in the military does not afford you any special "rights" or privileges.

You'll just have to find another job as soon as you can. You could have stayed at your old job and taken a leave of absence and went to the new location and tried to get another job. Hard to do but at least you didn't quit your job. Most military wives don't get the luxury of seeing their husbands every day. Some are lucky if they see their husbands once a year.

Nov 7, 2010, 04:46 PM
    Comment on twinkiedooter's post
    I can tell you do not have any concept of the military. Once a soldier receives orders all housing and privilege then leave w/ the solder to his/her duty station. You have 0 idea on how often I see my spouse. Please don't leave feedback.Not helpful

Nov 7, 2010, 04:48 PM
    Comment on happy05's post
    Please do not leave a comment unless it is about regulations or your own personal experience dealing with being denied unemployment. Opinion is not what I am seeking. Respectfully, US Army Wife
    Expert

Nov 7, 2010, 04:58 PM

Actually no, many soldiers wife is at home ( at the station they are based) and the husband is not there, he is off to a duty station where the wife can not travel.

My son was in Iran on two tours of duties, one in Afgan, and one in Korea, his family could not travel to any of his duty stations.

So sorry but while maybe not "most" a large number of soldiers do not go home to their wife every night

And when I served ( back in the old days) one duty station the family could not be there, and the other they were there, but I was gone about 2/3 of the time
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 7, 2010, 05:03 PM

Since you voluntarily quit your job, you are not entitled to unemployment benefits. These benefits are set up for those who lose their job for reasons such as downsizing or layoffs.

It is assumed that if one QUITS their job they have an adequate amount of money in savings to carry them over until they can find new employment.

And, yes, I speak from experience. I quit my job in Michigan to move to Tennessee with my husband when he found new employment in a new state. This was what I was told then.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2010, 05:23 PM

Just draft your letter and state the facts, that you had to leave your current employment due to your husband being transferred to a new duty station. Appealing will increase your chances of winning your claim, though there are no guarantees.
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2010, 09:03 AM

We've all told you that you have no appealable issues here. Just because you were not laid off or your company went out of business you seem to think that the military angle is going to get you unemployment benefits. It's not going to work.

Maybe you should read the qualifications on eligibility for unemployment online somewhere and see if you qualify. We here at AMHD don't feel you will qualify due to the fact you voluntarily left your job for whatever reason you had to. This is unfortunate but here in America those are the rules in place for unemployment insurance benefits otherwise everyone who voluntarily quits their jobs would be eligible for whatever excuse/reason they deem fit. It doesn't work that way.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2010, 09:20 AM

Hello twink:

I had a job once that I quit because the boss made it so untenable that I was FORCED to quit. He did it solely to prevent me from collecting unemployment and to prevent his rates from rising..

It didn't work. I WON on appeal.

Certainly, nobody expects a wife to stay at work once her military husband gets transferred. To do so is unreasonable, in my opinion, and I would hope that the person who hears the OP's appeal is a reasonable person.

excon
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2010, 09:32 AM

Exie - the OP put in a 2 weeks' notice of voluntarily leaving. Don't think this is the same as what you experienced. It's apples and oranges here. You had a bad nasty employer. She obviously didn't. She does not meet the criteria. Sorry. It's irrelevant what your spouse does for a living. It's what job YOU have and why you left that matters. Just being a military wife doesn't cut it with unemployment. His current job has nothing to do with your employment or unemployment. What if he was a civilian and got transferred to a different city and you had to leave your job due to that? You would not get unemployment benefits if you voluntarily left your job because hubby had to move to a different city.

If anything, I understand the military life. Most returning veterans regardless what branch of the service they served in once they return to the states they end up being shuffled around and then finally released from the service altogether and left to fend for themselves however hard that may be. A lot of acquaintances of my son experienced just that kind of treatment when they came back to the states.

So lady, you're not "educating" me about anything I don't already know about. You need to put your "masters" to better use. Or better yet if you do want to get a job leave it off your resume altogether as most companies will think you are overqualified and won't stay at the job very long until you find something better. You need to downplay your education or you'll be unemployed much longer than you would like to be. I know this from experience about what prospective employers are looking for.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Nov 9, 2010, 06:23 PM

I don't think Twinkie was trying to be rude - just pointing out that your situation does not qualify you for unemployment, and that if you are able to move with your spouse, that's a blessing - something worth focusing on while you go through the difficult process of finding employment.

Best wishes to you in finding new work. It's a struggle but remember you only need that one job... ignore the statistics and depressing reports and just keep remembering that you just need one job. Helped me... hope it helps you.
    Expert

Nov 9, 2010, 07:42 PM

Yes, excon I once worked for a company that was asking me to do illegal activities, I refused and quit, I also won my unemployment, but I had documentation that they were requiring illegal acts on the job

And I will agree, if you are going for a job as a clerk, don't put the masters on the resume, I had trouble before, and left off my entire college, masters and more, and was hired in a week. They did not want to hire someone too qualified since they did not think they would say when economy picked up

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

If I had an unemployment claim denied then almost a whole year [ 1 Answers ]

Later a response letter sent to me stating I may have a claim out of the blue, so they have reopened it and then I find out the Commissioner and Governor have close ties with the ex-Employer via political contributions and donating to their causes and then the board tells you you have to give the...

If denied passport, then. [ 2 Answers ]

If I am denied a passport due to felonies on my record, can an attorney help?

Acess denied [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to install a program from a set of CDs I bought but every time I put in the install CD I get "access denied." Help!

View more questions Search