Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    YTLopez Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2010, 11:43 PM
    Lawyers for creditor didn't show up to a subpoena for deposition
    I went to a deposition I was summoned to attend. The creditors lawyers didn't show up. The only person there was the court reporter and myself. Now they have a judgement against me. Can I use the fact that they didn't show up to deposition against them? I have the parking ticket that proves the time & date I was there and the name of the court reporter.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2010, 05:35 PM

My first question to you is how did they get a judgment against you? A deposition takes place prior to trial, so with no trial there can be no judgment. Didn't you ask the court to dismiss the case after they failed to appear for deposition? One thought does come to mind, and that is, did you answer the complaint with which you were served within the specified time limit for your state? If not, then a default judgment would've been entered against you, in which case depositions would not be necessary (which would explain the plaintiff's/plaintiff's attorney's failure to appear
    YTLopez Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2010, 01:49 AM
    Thank you for your answer. Reviewing paperwork from this creditor shows that I received a default judgement notice on 10/2007. The subpoena for deposition was sent 08/2008. Anyway the damage has been done. I just have to get ready for the consequences of this judgement I haven't heard from them since.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 16, 2010, 05:03 AM

This is confusing, If they got a default judgment in 2007, then what were you being deposed about in 2008?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

If I received a Subpoena stuck in my door what will happen if I don't show up? [ 6 Answers ]

I am a victim of Assault and I received a subpoena stuck in my door. Do I have to show up? What will happened if I do not?

Divorce Deposition [ 8 Answers ]

Are divorce deposition transcripts available to third parties? Here is the circumstance: I became involved with a married man prior to him being legally separated from his wife. Long story short, she sued him for his money, etc and used the affair with me as her way to win. Part of the process...

Rules regarding a deposition [ 5 Answers ]

I have just been notified of a lawsuit against me. The first deposition is coming up. What are the rules about who can attend? Is this considered a "public" event? The corporation suing me has considerable enemies in the journalistic field. Would a journalist be allowed to attend/

Sand deposition [ 2 Answers ]

What are some causes and effects of sand deposition?

Value of a deposition? [ 3 Answers ]

In litigation for R.O. & modify exchange local. No custody changes. Have 50/50. Ex responded to OSC with false allegations(alcohol & domestic abuse). In Aug. Judge appointed minors counsel, a 50 yd R.O. for both, no drinking for both. Ex is a Cop. Ex called DCSF in June, they came in late Aug,...

View more questions Search