Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kattygirl Posts: 131, Reputation: 3

Jan 4, 2007, 05:28 PM
    I managed to find a record in a 1930 census showing my great grandfather is a William Naratzka born 1851 in Germany. That is the ONLY reference I can find for him and I have no idea of his wife's name. I have went though sites all day and am getting no where. Anyone have a suggestion?

His sons and daughters are all dead. In fact all that is left is me and I had never heard of him until I came across an old census record. Due to the Flu epidemic of 1918 most of my realatives were all shipped off to live elsewhere. I have managed to track one relative line back to the 1700's. I just wondered if anyone had a thought I might not have come up with yet.
    GeneGenie Posts: 53, Reputation: 3

Jan 5, 2007, 05:46 AM
    I see the one you're speaking of:

MacKford, Green Lake, WI
    Charles Prochnow 56
    Louise Prochnow 50
    Irwin (or Irvin) Prochnow 29
    Mildred Prochnow 18
    William Naratzka 79

The page further shows that he came to the US in 1878. If you don't have paid access to the other censuses, you can access the 1880 for free here.

... unfortunately I don't find him there... which means they either missed him, or butchered his name so bad that even a soundex search does not reveal it... I couldn't find him in the 1900-1920 censuses either.

Do you have access to the other censuses? Since we know that he was Charles' father in law, you should also check the 1880 for Prochnow's... and browse the pages near where you find them - looking for William. It's a bit of a long-shot... but not too unreasonable to think that by 1880 he may have been in WI already.

There are 35 Prochnow's in Wisconsin in 1880. I'd look at each one... then use the links that go to the households all around the ones you find.

And interestingly, there are only 83 Prochnow's in the entire US in 1880... so if you don't find what you're looking for in Wisconsin, look at them all.

... and if you know Charles' father's name, that would help narrow things down a bit.

As you can see, researching this stuff can be quite tedious... and good notekeeping is crucial - which is why I so strongly recommend using software. See here.

Did you subscribe to the censuses at ancestry.com? If not, then do some hunting in the 1880 and I'll search the 1900-1920 censuses for the Prochnow's, where we might find william living with them.

Jan 5, 2007, 06:01 AM
    PS. There is no Naratzka message board at ancestry.com or genealogy.com, but there are boards for Prochnow. And in them I see people asking about the Prochnow's of Wisconsin... so you should check them out and post there too. Here they are:

Genealogy.com Prochnow Board
    Ancestry.com Prochnow Board

Also be sure to check the other sources mentioned in the sticky (like local genealogical societies in WI, USGenweb, USGenweb Archives, etc)
    kattygirl Posts: 131, Reputation: 3

Jan 5, 2007, 08:49 AM
    Your great as always thank you! I have downloaded the software you mentioned and I just signed up for Ancestery. The Day/Prochnow family side is hard on me because all I know of them is that my great grandfather was a gambler and wanderer and my great gma ended up shipping all of her kids out to others when the flu of 1918 hit. Thankfully the other side stayed in one place. :)

Jan 8, 2007, 06:17 AM
    Let me offer a suggesion (expansion of this) - using that 1930 Census find as an example.

Remember that every bit of info you find or know is from a SOURCE.

1. Set up 1930 Census as a Source: Edit > Source list > Click New Button > Fill in the blanks that describe the source.

2. Enter each individual (Add > Individual, or Add > Family), and the info you know about them from that census... and be sure to click the Individual Sources button to indicate that you know what you do from the 1930 Census.

Now, each of those individuals will have "1930 Census" assigned as a source with them.

Do similar for all subsequent entries... and of course if you find other sources where you learn about them, add the new source and assign the new source(s) to the people also.

No doubt you've got living family members who knew your ancestors, so do similar for them. Add mom, grandmother, etc. as a source...

... so in short, your goal should be assigning a source to all info you enter. I know it sounds like overkill but it's not. You (and anyone who you share your research with) should be able to easily see where you got your info.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stuck On You [ 1 Answers ]

At the end of the Farrelly brother's movie, Stuck On You, Walt (played by Greg Kinnear) sings a song during the Bonnie and Clyde musical. I have searched the internet, and cannot find an answer. Anyone know the name/original composer of the song? Thanks!

I'm so stuck [ 4 Answers ]

Hiya everybody Rite well lately my boyfriend has been so off with me its unbeliveable. I'm 15 he is 16 I had sex with him about 1 month and 2 weeks ago when we first got together then about 1 hour I found out my best mate sleped around his house with my boyfriend best mate. I felt really used and...

Stuck- [ 1 Answers ]

A horizontal rifle is fired at a bull's eye. The muzzle speed of the bullet = 670 m/s. Barrell is pointed directly at the center of the bull's eye- the bullet hits the target 0.025 m below the center. What is the horizontal distance between the end of the rifle and the bull's eye? I need a...

Stuck... [ 4 Answers ]

Sigh... I've never written to one of these things before, but the situation I'm in now is too tough not to look for some objective outside advice... I'm 22 and my boyfriend is 24; we've been dating for two and a half years. I love him more than I ever thought I was capable of. I know that he...

I'm stuck [ 1 Answers ]

I have known this guy since I was about 5, and I hooked him up with my best friend last year. They only lasted for a couple of days and after that me and him started getting really close and he told me that he liked me. I told him that I liked him too. We fooled around for awhile and then stopped....

View more questions Search