Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tiredscaredwife Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2010, 01:19 AM
    If no order is established now, can she get back child support in Michigan?
    "My husband had full physical custody and joint legal custody of a son in Michigan. (I have raised him since he was 4 and he is 15) The bio mom was in and out of his life and when she was 'in' it was so torturous on my whole families lives. She came back in a couple years ago and was quite stable but talked him in to making false police reports about abuse, etc. #none ever stuck because they were all false but it is VERY scarey being accussed# We had enough #she #mom# even backed her car up and revved it forward and braked right in front of me, etc, etc, for 11 years off and on!# and my husband said he had enough and if his son was willing to put our family at risk with making false accusations-he decided to give up custody and let her raise him #he was being torn in two...it was terrible for the boy#. They signed an order giving her full physical custody and joint legal but it said she wasn't asking for support and intended on step parent adoption #her new husband#. We thought the being torn in two would stop and we also wanted to protect our family) Well, hubby talked to her lawyer and they didn't go thru on step parent adoption. Wondering if it is an attempt of having him and then also going back for child support later. If no order is established now, can she get back child support in Michigan? Again, court papers regarding custody state she is not asking for support. Thanks! "
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 6, 2010, 07:01 AM

No, she CAN apply for support but that support will only be effective as of the date of application.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 6, 2010, 07:32 AM

But if she is on welfare of any type, the state may come back after him for money for their services even if there is no child support order.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2010, 12:52 PM

If she does pursue a judgment for child support, she can get it retroactively to the day she became his primary physical custodian. I have to ask, why wasn't she paying child support during the years your son was the primary caregiver?

Nov 8, 2010, 01:29 PM
    Comment on s_cianci's post
    She was paying support when we had him. We decided to let the step dad adopt him and take over but looks like they are not doing that now. I am afraid it is just so she can collect support. We gave up a lot. I love him and miss him.

Nov 8, 2010, 01:29 PM
    Comment on ScottGem's post
    Thanks, is this for sure true for Michigan? There's the conflicting opinion above.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 9, 2010, 04:47 AM

The only thing I could find out states that it goes to date of filing unless within 6 years of birth.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I go for back child support if an order was never filed? [ 11 Answers ]

I never filed for child support 8 yrs ago when I got custody of my four children because my ex said he would kill me. I had been in a very violent marriage for ten years and wanted out fast. He said he would not sign divorce papers if I had child support in them. My lawyer said "fine, don't put it...

How far back can you go for child support when there was never an order? [ 7 Answers ]

Hello! I am in the state of South Carolina. I have a child that is 22 months old. I moved out 19 months ago to live with my parents, and while we were working on the relationship, I allowed him to pay me directly without an order of child support. I have kept a journal with the date and amount...

Can a fl.court order the sale of a homesteaded property for back child support [ 1 Answers ]

Can a fl.court order the sale of a homesteaded property if I owe back child support

Can I sue for back child support if there is no court order? [ 9 Answers ]

The father fled the country after I was pregnant 24 yrs ago , he is now back in U.S. a court order was never granted because he fled the country and I was already married. Can I sue him now that he is back in the US.. he denies being the father of course,

View more questions Search