Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Nov 5, 2010, 08:29 AM
    Kitty BJ?
    This is going to sound weird, it does to me anyway.

My kitten is giving my two dogs BJ's.

I know it sounds dumb but essentially that's exactly what's going on. Now, I believe she is trying to milk (because she is just a kitten) but my dogs allow it it. (two Yorkies)

Is this normal and how can I stop it?
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Nov 5, 2010, 01:04 PM

Yowch, that's got to impress house guests :eek:

Can't help you much on the kitten side (not a cat person) but you could try and offer the kitten a distraction, try some toys with little nubbles it can suck on instead.

As for the dogs, every time you see them allowing it to happen call them to you and reward them for coming. Hopefully that will teach them that every time the kittens tries to suckle they are to get up and come to you for a treat.
    Make sure you are well away from the dog when this happens so it has to phsically get up and move a fair distance so you are not rewarding the bad behaviour.. you are rewarding the dog coming only.

(I feel like a teenager giggling every time I typed the word 'coming')
    Networking Expert

Nov 5, 2010, 03:00 PM

I can try that but that seems like it's only a work around. I mean does it sound like the cat is just trying to milk. I do call the dogs to me but I can start rewarding them!

I have another question.

My little Yorkie (the 1yr old) will NOT go to the bathroom outside, he will go outside with his father the older one and stand there for ever (if I didn't bring him in) sometimes he will go but lately he'll come right back in the house and then go. I don't know what to do with him, lastnight he peed on our comforter in the middle of the night while we slept.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Nov 5, 2010, 03:11 PM

Hi IT.

I'm laughing over here. This reminds me of the joke "why do dogs lick their balls? Because they can!"

The kitten most definitely is suckling, and the fact that she's looking to your dogs for comfort is actually kind of good, as she's accepting them, and they're accepting her.

The fact is, this behavior isn't something we humans want, so yes, it's time to put a stop to it.

How old is the kitten? If you posted that info, I'm sorry, I missed it. The younger they are when removed from mom, the more likely they are to suckle on things. Our cat used to suckle on a sheep skin rug. My parents were not impressed.

Our cats did it all their lives, it was a habit, and we never corrected it. It only stopped after the sheep skin rug was too ratty looking to keep and we tossed it. Obviously tossing your kittens suckling tool isn't something we can consider. ;)

The dogs will allow it as long as you do. Our puppy will lick the older dogs, um... jewels, because that's what dogs do. What can you expect from animals that will eat their own feces?

I think Shazzy is on the right track. Redirect, and reward, for both kitten and dogs.

Now for the potty issues. Has your 1 year old always had issues with going potty inside, or is this a new thing? We'll need this info in order to give you better advice. :)
    Networking Expert

Nov 5, 2010, 03:16 PM

Since moving into our new house he started this bad habit. Back home he went outside all day and played and would go but it is also much colder then before... not sure if that helps at all.

And as far as the tossing the kitty's suckling tools I am for it but my wife won't let me toss the dogs haha ;) j/k
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Nov 5, 2010, 03:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ITstudent2006 View Post
    Since moving into our new house he started this bad habit. Back home he went outside all day and played and would go but it is also much colder then before....not sure if that helps at all.

And as far as the tossing the kitty's suckling tools I am for it but my wife won't let me toss the dogs haha ;) j/k
    So this behavior is relatively new?

There could be many reasons the dog is now going potty inside. One could be the fact that you moved, another could be because of the kitten, and then there's always the possibility that he has a bladder infection.

The fact is, you're giving him ample opportunity to use the outdoors to potty, but he's not doing it.

It is getting colder, but hey, too bad puppy. ;)

You may have to start from the beginning, potty training 101. The one thing that I find important when potty training, or re-training, is not having any distractions for the dog. In other words, don't take him outside with the other dog, just you and him. He doesn't get back into the house until he potties, and when he does potty, you go nuts, and I means absolutely praise the holy heck out of him. Good boy, treats, a little dance, high five, you name it. Let him know what's expected and that you're proud when he does what's expected.

If he has an accident in the house it's a firm no, and then right outside. He has to learn that outside is where you want him to go.

Of course a vet check to make sure that there isn't something physically wrong would also be a good idea. It could be a bladder infection and you definitely want to rule that out.

Don't get rid of the dogs! No way! I'm like Shazzy though, I'm a dog person, so my advice would be to nix the cat. I'm kidding cat people! Put the pitchforks down! :eek:
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Nov 5, 2010, 04:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    Don't get rid of the dogs! No way! I'm like Shazzy though, I'm a dog person, so my advice would be to nix the cat. I'm kidding cat people! Put the pitchforks down! :eek:
    We all know that you would add a cute little kitty to the zoo if three of the four people in the house wouldn't have allergic reactions to the wee beast. :rolleyes: :D

IT, distraction and redirection probably is the bet course of action. This is pretty much like a child sucking its thumb. Part of it is an emotional/security/comfort need. Setting up a nubbly toy that smells like the dogs might help.

I doubt the dogs will put up with it much longer when the kitten starts using teeth or a very rough tongue.

You might even try something strange and get a rodent/rabbit water bottle for the kitten to 'nurse'.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 5, 2010, 04:59 PM

I just see a Youtube hit with a million hits,
    Networking Expert

Nov 6, 2010, 09:25 AM

HAHA as much as I would love to put it on YouTube (believe me I mentioned it to my wife) I would rather just stop the issues. As far as the Kitty BJ goes, I started doing what was suggested. Calling our dog over whenever our kitty starts doing it. I call him over, and reward him for coming, so now whenever she starts all I have to do is look at the dog and he comes over.

The little dog peeing inside is a new habit yes! But it was before we even got the cat.
    (we literally got th ekitten like 3 weeks ago)

I will try some things mentioned and provide you with updates!
    paleophlatus Posts: 459, Reputation: 112

Apr 29, 2011, 05:06 PM
    Pretty soon, the kitten's teeth will become more 'noticeable', and the dogs may decide on their own to cut off relations, so to speak. But this sort of behavior is not uncommon in kittens, just the object of their attention. It's often called 'wool sucking', and they will suckle whatever is handy, like a blanket, or whatever. Probably not too different from a cat's 'kneading' family members that many of us are familiar with. What purpose either serves is known only to the cat doing it.
    Networking Expert

Apr 29, 2011, 06:06 PM

I appreciate the response. However, it's no longer an issue :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pregnant kitty [ 2 Answers ]

I think my pregnant kitty is overdue, a few days ago sh had a light bloody discharge, is this normal? She is a small manx kitty, she is eating good and she still is behaving like herself, is there anyway to help her start labor?

Where do you get a kitty for free [ 9 Answers ]

Dear everyone, Where do you get a kitty cheaper or even free? Where should I start? Thanks :)

Cold Kitty [ 6 Answers ]

Although my cat is overweight, he seems to be cold all the time. He lays on the heating register. I have seen small dogs do this but never a cat. What gives??

Help with kitty [ 10 Answers ]

I need some help. My cat has been missing since 8/12. I have posted about 70 LOST signs in the neighborhood, and printed 50 more today that I will put up tomorrow. I have gone to the shelter and looked there. I have searched online on found cat sites. I have posted online lost cat. I put an ad out...

View more questions Search