Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sldestache Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2010, 05:13 PM
    Why are eaves painted blue?
    I once went to Mackinac Island in Michigan and all of the victorian and colonial houses had blue eaves. I remember it was for a reason I think it was something to do with birds...
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 6, 2010, 05:49 AM

I don't know about the birds but it could be a area thing. In Gulfport Florida it's like walking back in to the 40's and 50's. Red brick streets, no new construction, all the houses painted in vivid hues, lime green, cobalt blue, chartreuse =, etc. The downtown section is a collection of art and crafts shops. Perhaps that's what you have up there in Mackinac Island.
    Regards, b Tom
    Just_Another_Lemming Posts: 437, Reputation: 211

Nov 6, 2010, 01:12 PM

It is supposed to deter birds from building their nests in the eaves of the house by tricking them into thinking the eave is part of the sky.

I don't know if it works or not. Guess I will paint my eaves blue and see what happens.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2010, 08:21 AM
    Some people believe it keeps insects, bees and wasps in particular, from building nests in the eaves since, as the previous poster stated, it looks like the sky. I guess they're not color blind!
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Nov 10, 2010, 07:29 PM

Being a painter that lives in a very old town, many of our homes porches have the light blue paint on the ceilings.

Not too long ago nobody had air conditioning. Most door entrances consisted of a wood door and a screen door, no storm doors back then.

The old screen doors were very basic. Hinges and the big heavy slam spring acting like a door closer.

Because of that configuration and no air conditioning many homes had porches so when it rains one could leave the wood door open and let the cooler rain air blow in.

This worked great expect for one draw back. Flys loved to hang on the porches inside ceiling and use that as a staging point to fly into the house when the screen door was opened.

Someone figured out that if you paint the porch ceiling with blue paint that helped reduce the amount of flys that hung out which in turn cut done the chances of a fly getting onto the house.

Yes it actually does work. Best guess with our logic is that some flys may think the ceiling is water and won't land on it. Not sure what a fly actually thinks.. This was taken to the next step with eves thinking when opening a window by the blue eves that also would cut down the odds of letting a fly in.

Note: the blue paint only seems to effect flys and nothing else of insect or birds.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Blue tablet put in tank of toilet, but no blue in the bowl [ 7 Answers ]

When a use a blue Vanish tablet in the tank of my toilet the water will not stay blue in the bowl. (No blue at all after flushing in one toilet, and only very light blue in another) I think this is because of the small tube that flows into the overflow tube goes directly into the bowl as clean, not...

Electrical conduit through eaves [ 1 Answers ]

I want to install a couple motion sensor lights in a carport. The gable part of the roof's fascia crosses the same on the house. Since I already have a GFI protected 20A run in attic of house that only feeds 2 standard outlets can I just junction off this circuit and run conduit through wall,...

Eaves & soffits [ 2 Answers ]

My new house which has 12" wood eaves have NO soffits installed. The roof pitch I believe is 7/12 (approx. 9-10' high at its peak and the blown cellulose insulation covers the eaves. The only vents are along the roof peak line. Am I in for trouble down the road with moisture buildup, mildew...

Blue tape sticking to my freshly painted ceiling [ 5 Answers ]

Help! I was in a rush today and made a major blunder. I am painting a nursery and painted my ceiling. While it was drying I went out and bought wall paint. I came back home and hour later and put my blue 3M tape up on my freshly painted ceiling and proceeded to paint my walls!! Well 3-4 ...

Eaves around roof starting to discolor [ 2 Answers ]

The eaves around our house are starting to discolor like may be starting to get woodrot or mold.Does any one have a tip on what I can do.I was thinking on painting the eaves but I think I will just be hiding the problem and it will come through the paint or continue to rot or mold under the paint....

View more questions Search