Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Catsysue Posts: 42, Reputation: 18

Nov 4, 2010, 04:48 PM
    Apartment complex charging for water -- $ computation.
    My apartment complex in Grundy county Illinois just informed me that they are changing the way the water bill is assessed for each apartment. Instead of prorating the water bill based on occupancy, they are now going to charge based on square footage of the apartment. That means that since I live alone in a one-bedroom apartment, I will be paying just as much as a couple living in an identical apartment who wash clothes for two, take two showers per day, etc. Do I have any means to protest this change?
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Nov 4, 2010, 06:33 PM
    It all depends on the wording of your lease and any supplementary agreements you entered into concerning the allocation of the water bill.

If you are in a one year lease (that specifies the way this is handled) and (for example) your lease doesn't end until April of 2011, then it seems that the most they can do is give you notice that this is the way it will be billed (for you) beginning on May 1, 2011. If you are a month-to-month tenant then they probably just need to give you a 30 day notice of the change.

Also, look at whatever agreements you signed for wording like "subject to change at any time/with a ____ day notice/etc."

I think if you thoroughly read through all written agreements you have you will find out what they can and cannot do.

That said, I agree with you that it does not seem fair. Is it a management company or a private owner? I would start complaining - IN WRITING- and work your way up the chain of command, up to the owners of the property. Also, are there others in your situation that would agree with your position? The more similar complaints they receive the more valid your point seems. Ultimately, if they believe it will cause them to lose good tenants it may get a reaction.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 4, 2010, 06:40 PM

You can protest to the management of the complex, and to the owners of the complex.

And you can go back to your rental agreement or lease to see if they can even change it at this time, or have to wait till lease renews.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Duties of the apartment complex [ 8 Answers ]

Someone had broke into my apartment a few weeks ago I approached the apartment complex management and told them and asked them to repair the window which they had come through which was my daughters window and they said it was not their resposibilty is this correct?

Re-wiring an old apartment complex [ 3 Answers ]

A little background before I start asking questions. The building in question is a 4 apartment building, 2 on the first floor and 2 on the second floor. Currently they have 60A service each with the main 60A breaker being on the power companies meter outside with an 8 slot sub panel of sorts for...

Can't an Apartment Complex Do this? [ 1 Answers ]

I am in louisville, KY. I have lived in my apartment for a year and 6 months. I have never been late, never had any problems here. The second year I did sign a year lease because they do not do month to month. I recently put an offer on a house and it was accepted. I gave my apartment complex 41...

Apartment complex behind on water payment [ 3 Answers ]

I've been living in this apartment complex for several years without issues with payment of the water until this month. Sewer and water are included in the rent. We got a disconnect notice that water service had not been paid. What recourse do I have on the management of the apartment complex?

Apartment complex problems [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have been living in my apartments for about a year and up until last week things have been fine. I wrote my rent check and gave it to the apartment on the 1st, after viewing my bank statement a couple of days later I noticed I had wrote the checkf or $20 under the needed amount, I...

View more questions Search