Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kateju Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2010, 03:27 PM
    What to do when disagreeing with a HUGE medical bill?
    Ok, this is complicated, I'll try to keep it as short & to the pt as I can:
    I was covered under my husband's health plan. He was let go from his job on 7/22. I'm in HR, so it's always been the norm (in my experience) that you are covered through the end of the month of termination. I knew this was the "norm" but not law. I had an already scheduled appt to have blood work done on 7/25. I wanted to cofirm that I was still active w/ the insurane, so I call the health ins co & asked if I was active the day before & the morning of my appt. I was assured that I was "active & to not cancel my appt". Apparently, the comp my husb worked for (on 8/4) retro/backdated the insurance end date to 7/22. Are still following? Sorry...
    Well, Yada yada, I got the bld-work done (mind you this was in July).
    Ugh, in late-Sept we get a bill from the insurance co. for $1,638... due by 10/15! By the time we rec'd the bill, we had lapsed the amt of days to choose COBRA. (Altho, I never rec'd a cobra letter..? - whole other issuethat I've been trying to fight).
    Soooo - I haven't paid anything yet because that means you accept the bill. I DON'T
    So, after all that (so sorry) I know it's not the ins co's fault or my fault because I did everything I could to verify I was covered be4 the appt.
    So, what next? My thought's are to send in a grievence/appeal with ins. Co (?)
    Just any thoughts/ ideas would be so much appreciated. Or anyone who's gone something similar. We cant' afford this bill... we've both have been laid off *(I'm working now, but playing catch-up. So $1,638 makes me sick to my stomach.
    BTW - HELLO!! - I am brand new to this website. I will do my best to give good advice to you all as well :)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 4, 2010, 05:23 PM

Your insurance ends on the last day of employment, working in HR you should have known that, companies that allow longer are merely allowing, not follow the statue.

You also knowing it was after that day should have taken the cobra coverage.

You had no insurance on that date, since it was so close to the termination, when you called did you inform them that hubby was terminated ? But they would have shown it active since it takes a couple weeks for terminations to be processed to the insurance company normally.

You may follow up on "not getting the cobra letter" to attempt to get it, but will of course have to pay all of the prior months back premium
    kateju Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2010, 05:56 AM
    did you inform them that hubby was terminated? YES, of course. That's why I called to verify in the 1st place. I gave all info about the situation. In HR, I KNOW THAT'S IT'S NOT LAW to carry insurance through the end of the month- I clearly wrote that it's "the norm". I'm sorry, did you clearly read my post before you responded?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Medical Bill [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am from Northern California. I got a car accident in February 2005 and was taken by ambulance to the local hospital. I have medical insurance with Kaiser Permanente, which has paid my medical bills from the hospital I was taken into. 3 months later I got calls from a collection agency in...

Can an employer ask about medical background based on a past due medical bill? [ 1 Answers ]

Can an employer question the nature of a medical bill or your medical background based on a past due medical bill on your credit report?

Huge Tax Bill Due that can't be paid now! Options? [ 1 Answers ]

I had to take a huge withdrawal from my 401K, and now have to pay a huge tax bill. However, I don't have the funds available for such a large payment. IS there a way to spread this payment out over several years without huge penalties and interests? Or, is there some sort of way to average out my...

Medical procedure to remove huge fibroids without a hysterectomy [ 1 Answers ]

My friend has heavy periods, using two tampons and a overnight pad every two and a half hours. She has a transparent to pink discharge also (between periods). After visiting several doctors and told it was an infection, but no medication worked. The third year the pink discharge now gushes out...

Huge medical debt [ 3 Answers ]

Hello Everyone. I Recently Had Surgery (gallblatter Removed) My Insurance Did Not Cover My Hospital Bill Nor Will It Cover The Doctors Bills. My Credit Is Bad . I Am Divorced , Child Support Is $1000.00 Monthly I Only Earn $2300.00. The Bill Is Apprx. $67000.00. All I Can Pay A Month Is...

View more questions Search