Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mkgray55 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2009, 07:32 PM
    10 month old no longer sleeping through night
    My 10 month old baby slept through the night from 3 months - 9 months of age (yes, I was very very lucky). But since he started teething around 8-9 months of age, he started waking up for one bottle. He got his 4 teeth all at once, and is still waking up for a feeding. I added a pablum feedng right before he goes to bed but he is still waking up for a feeding between 2 - 4 am.

While I considered myself lucky that he slept through the night, I am just wondering what is going on now. I am getting ready to go back to work and I would love it if he slept through the night again. Could it be that he is hungry (he certainly takes the bottle) and if so, when will he not need this feeding? Or is this just a bad habit that I've created by giving him the bottle when he wakes up - because he also finds it comforting and always has?

I'm not complaining but more so concerned with this wake up when for 5 months he did not need it.

Any advice, help, info would be appreciated!
    ROLCAM Posts: 1,420, Reputation: 23
    Ultra Member

Sep 29, 2009, 08:07 PM

Make sure he is sufficiently fed proper
    Food during the daytime meals.
    He really does not feed feeding at night time.
    When he wakes up at night , take him to the toilet to relieve himself from any excess liquid.
    Then put him back in his cot to continue his sleep without a big interruption.
    Try and adopt the change for about a week and see how he goes.
    As a matter of fact, try and do this at the same time each night, sat about 3:00 a.m.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Sep 30, 2009, 05:45 AM

Im sorry to say that it's a habit you have allowed by giving him the bottle.

When he wakes up at night, go in, let him know you are still there, lay him down and let him cry. It will only last a few minutes, maybe a few nights. The Cry It Out method sometimes needs to be reintroduced after life changes... sickness, teething, etc. We've had to restart it 3 times with our 19 month old and will again soon.
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Sep 30, 2009, 06:03 AM

I just wondered if there was a change in his routine?

Is he warm enough,is he to warm?

Does he need more solids during the day?

Perhaps he has gotten into the habit of waking since his teeth have started to come in... rule out everything else and I would suggest what stevetcg has said... retrain him.

Sep 30, 2009, 07:18 AM
    Thank you so much for this answer - I agree - I think I have/am creating a bad habit because I don't think he needs the feeding. Retraining him makes sense. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by redhed35 View Post
    i just wondered if there was a change in his routine?

is he warm enough,is he to warm?

does he need more solids during the day?

perhaps he has gotten into the habit of waking since his teeth have started to come in...rule out everything else and i would suggest what stevetcg has said...retrain him.
    I also agree with you! I want to make sure that I have ruled out everything else, whch right now I think I have (that is, until the next teething episode!). I have switched to heartier solid meals and hopefully that helps him feel fuller as well. THank you!

Oct 12, 2009, 12:28 PM
    11 month old and sippy cup
    I'm having a bit of trouble getting my 11 month old to drink from a sippy cup. Either he doesn't really know what to do with it, or he doesn't care. He ends up mostly drinking formula because I don't want to put water or baby juice in his bottle (as per what all the experts say) but I am concerned because I want him to learn than water can hydrate him as well. However, he just doesn't really have any interest in the sippy cup.
    He can drink from an adult cup quite well (he knows what to do with it), but he throws it around and spills everything so I really want him to use a sippy cup for a while to reduce the messes and keep him hydrated.
    Any suggestions?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 12, 2009, 12:42 PM

There is nothing wrong with putting water in his bottle. Juice is not a good idea because of all the sugar. Where did you hear that water wasn't okay ? I don't have any hard and fast rules for accomplishing this, just perseverance and maybe you showing him how it is done. Yes, water is good and he needs that too.

Tick
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Oct 12, 2009, 12:49 PM

Have you tried different sippy cups? Or just one? The first time we tried giving my little cousin a sippy cup we were worried about her too because she just didn't seem to be getting it. It was one of those spill proof ones, we thought it would be good to start with. I decided to drink from it in front of her to make sure she saw how it was supposed to go. Turned out the cup wasn't just spill proof, it was entirely impossible to drink from, even for me. As soon as we took the spill-proof valve thing out, she did just fine.
    omgtoast Posts: 27, Reputation: 3

Oct 14, 2009, 11:42 AM

My boyfriend's son (2) drinks out of cups like these. They are pretty spill proof unless he *really* chucks it across the room (I haven't ever seen that happen, but I'd guess.), and straws are simple enough for a baby to drink from.

http://justforfundesignsbynita.com/u..._Sippy_Cup.jpg
    Expert

Oct 14, 2009, 11:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by omgtoast View Post
    and straws are simple enough for a baby to drink from.

.jpg[/url]
    I am doubtful about straws for babies, they can create problems and need constant supervision befoe 'getting the hang of it'. Unless a straw is cut down to size, can cut a baby's mouth, or move to far down their throat. Choking could also occur from sucking up too much liquid at once.

Tick
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Oct 14, 2009, 11:50 AM

Give him natural juice in the sippy cup.There has to be something in there that he wants to drink.You can even dilute it with water if you are concerned about his water intake.

Encourage him by holding it for him and then allow him to do it.There are a few types that are less spill resistant than others.

Keep at it,he will get the hang of it in time.

While trying to get him acclimated to the cup,he should not be offered bottles.He will always choose what is more familiar and comforting.
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Oct 14, 2009, 12:00 PM

I had to try several different types of cups before my son would drink from one. Now, it doesn't matter what type but in the beginning he was picky.

My son is 2 and I still never give him 100% juice; I always dilute it with water. At this point, it's all he knows so I don't have to worry about his sugar intake.

At 11 months I wouldn't worry too much yet because at this age he still should be drinking formula anyway. Be patient and he will get the hang of it when he's ready.
    Expert

Oct 15, 2009, 07:21 PM

omgtoast, how the heck did I know which straws you meant . I honestly didn't know you meant the sippy cup you use, comes with a proper straws.

Unless my post was factually incorrect, there was no need to disagree.

Tick
    rankrank55 Posts: 1,259, Reputation: 177
    Ultra Member

Oct 15, 2009, 07:27 PM

My daughter didn't really get the hang of the sippy FULLY until she was 13 months. Then she really started actually drinking out of it. During this learning period she thrived on breastmilk. Like others have said, try several types of cups and demonstrate a lot :) He'll get the hang of it soon. And I agree with nikosmom... go 50/50 with juice and water.
    omgtoast Posts: 27, Reputation: 3

Oct 16, 2009, 09:05 AM

tickle:?

I wouldn't have bothered to clarify if I knew I'd be offending you..
    Expert

Oct 16, 2009, 06:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by omgtoast View Post
    tickle: ??

I wouldn't have bothered to clarify if I knew I'd be offending you...?
    Omg, don't worry, not offended :D peace

Tick
    ParanoidDaddy Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Nov 2, 2009, 07:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mkgray55 View Post
    I also agree with you! I want to make sure that I have ruled out everything else, whch right now I think I have (that is, until the next teething episode!). I have switched to heartier solid meals and hopefully that helps him feel fuller as well. THank you!
    We had the Same problem, our little boy slept through the night from as early as 2 or 3 months as well. At first it was him still needing his nightly feed, but they should not need that after about 6 months or so. Most of these ages given are generalisations, so if your baba is a month off in either direction don't freak out, some just advance in different stages than others.

I must agree that you have possibly formed a bad habit, and I can say this because I did the same thing. We stopped feeding our son when he woke up and instead just picked him up and put him back to bed. I believe it is a dependency thing, not wanting to be abandoned or just wanting to make sure you are still around.

However, if your little one doesn't quieten down early, then you will most likely be experiencing the wonderful joys of teething. Our son started teething around 6 months, and we had a few sleepless nights until they broke through. Then we slept again until the next round of teeth. Look for excessive drool, more bowel movements than usual, the exceptionally stinky stool, general irritability, and your baba may or may not be rubbing his gums.

And don't take advice from anyone who says you should take a 10 months old to the bathroom to relieve himself. There are lots of people with lots of different advice out there, and most of it is good advice. Different things apply to different people and babies, but that is just plain stupid.

Nov 4, 2010, 06:43 AM
    2 year old suddenly won't go to sleep
    I have a 23 month old that has been a great child to put to sleep - I have been a very lucky mom. After completing the bedtime routine, we have always just placed him in his crib, said 'night night', and that was it. The odd night he might fuss for a minute or two, but then go to sleep easily and quickly. It's been a dream for us and for babysitters.

Three days ago, however, he cried hysterically when we put him to bed. He was not sick, not hot, not cold, not uncomfortable, etc. He would stop crying immediately when we walked in his room. Basically, he simply wanted us to stay in there until he fell asleep. If we walked out, he would cry. So we gave in, and eventually he fell asleep and then he slept all night.

He has done the same thing the past few nights and I'm afraid of what tonight will bring! His cry is persistent, loud, and VERY demanding. I tried to let him 'cry it out' last night, and this resulted in him crying from 8:00 - 10:45 non-stop unless I entered the room at which time he would stop immediately and lie down.
    I hesitate to start a new routine at this age of having to lay with him to get him to go to sleep every night because this is a horrible routine to get into. But I cannot figure out for the life of me what is going on here. My 'hunch' is that he is in fact testing us and since he is that much older now, he has the stamina and the patience to cry it out for long periods. But I can't stand it. It's awful to hear and he is missing out on HOURS of sleep because of this.

I am at a loss as to what to do, other than stay in his room every night until he falls asleep. I tried a night light, thinking he was now starting to be afraid of the dark, but that didn't make a difference last night. He is in good humour all day and right up until he goes to bed. The only change in our routine/lifestyle this week is that he has been going to bed about 20 minutes later than normal since the weekend, so I will try to get him back to bed at 7:30 tonight to see if he's just overtired.
    Any ideas? I'm desperate!
    *Oh yes, and he goes to bed fine at nap time this week for the babysitter. This seems to be happening at night only.
    mrshodges Posts: 208, Reputation: 34

Nov 5, 2010, 07:21 AM

Welcome to the terrible two's. He may be having night terrors and wants you there for comfort because he is afraid to go to sleep or he could just be testing you. This is an interesting stage but it will pass.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Nov 5, 2010, 08:32 AM

Is he still in a crib?

This sounds like my son at the age of 2. He had always been so easy to get down at night, than at 2 (a few days after his birthday) he started screaming every night, wouldn't calm down on his own. My husband and I were at a loss as to what to do.

Well one night around 2 weeks later, all of us exhausted, still no solution, we decided to let him cry it out, no matter what we wouldn't go in his room. We figured that was the only solution.

Well 1 hour later, me sitting at his bedroom door in tears, my husband pacing in the hall, we heard a thunk. He had actually thrown himself out of his crib.

He was okay, but at that moment I had an idea, a realization. We had put a bed in his room to get him used to it, so instead of putting him back in his crib, I put him in his bed, tucked him in, sang him a song, and that was it.

From that day on he was fine. He just wanted to sleep in his bed, he was done with his crib. Too bad he couldn't have told us that 2 weeks earlier. ;)

If he's still in his crib, give a bed a chance, he may be trying to let you know that he's ready for the next step. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Me and my boyfriend is really happy we were in love for the past 3 year but suddenly [ 17 Answers ]

My boyfriend is in love with me for 03 years but we were really happy in our relation but now he is going around with other gal and he is going to get married with her.. I find really difficult to forget him. He is not talking with me... fully ingores me

My 5 year old Dachsund is suddenly wetting in the house. [ 3 Answers ]

My husband and I just returned from 2 weeks away. Our dogs were cared for by a friend. About 2 hours after we returned our, usually house broken, mini Dachsund peed in the floor right in front of us. Then a few days later he left a trail of urine as he walked to his bed. Later that same evening he...

1 1/2 year old cat suddenly attacks dog? [ 2 Answers ]

My wife and I got our cat when she was a kitten. She's about a year and a half old the dog is about seven. They have got along fine till today. One min. she's fine the next min she freaks out and starts attacking the dog. The only thing I can think of is, I think she's going into heat, but she's...

9 mo suddenly will not sleep in his bed [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have a 9 mo old and 3 weeks ago he got an ear infection. Since then he will not go to sleep in his bed at night. His ears are all better and he still want sleep. I've tried giving him Bendryl and he cried last night for an hour and half. The doctor says he is stubborn and wished me good...

11 year old debt suddenly asked to pay [ 8 Answers ]

I have an 11 year old debt from an old $3100 credit card account. All of a sudden I get letters threatening me to pay. Verbiage like if you do not respond you will be held in contempt and incarcerated. I live in New Jersey and thought that after 6 years they can't do this any more and the debt is...

View more questions Search