Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shorty69 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2010, 07:45 PM
    What would be a good flea treatment for a 7 week old puppy staff got a flea collar
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Nov 3, 2010, 11:41 PM

Throw the flea collar away, sorry but they are pretty much useless. They only kill the fleas if the flea happens to go near the dogs neck, and seeing as how fleas tend to hang out around the hind legs they aren't very effective.

See your vet and get an age appropriate spot on treatment. You will need one for young puppies.
    Spot on treatments are a liquid that is applied to the back of the dogs neck but unlike flea collars the liquid then spreads itself over the dog through the oils on their skin.
    They are effective for up to a month.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Nov 4, 2010, 11:28 AM

I second Shazazy's post. Flea collars are useless and in most cases can cause more harm than good.

See your vet. Prescribed flea treatment is fairly inexpensive and very effective. The great thing with most flea treatments is they kill most worms too. I highly recommend Revolution.

I would suggest buying the vet prescribed treatment for up to 3 initial months. I don't treat every month in winter and colder months, but it is very important to treat in spring and summer, as parasite eggs can live in soil for up to five years. So when it starts to melt and thaw, any dormant eggs will hatch and re infect.

Revolution, Centinol, and Advantage are all safe to use on 7 week puppies, and if you have the b!tch it's safe to use on mom after she has fully weaned her pups.

If you have a bad flea problem, you will need to treat the area as well. So I would pick up a carpet and furniture treatment at the vets too. Also fairly in expensive and since you wouldn't use the full can, you will have left overs if any further problem occurs. Vacuum and make sure to empty the bag or canister.

In the mean time, give your puppy a nice warm bath with dawn dish soap. This will kill any of the live fleas and help with washing any eggs away as well. This will provide temporary relief until you get the treatment from your vet. Make sure that your pup doesn't get a chill.

And enjoy your new puppy, Staffy's are a wonderful, loving breed!
    Sunshine2701 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2010, 08:55 AM
    I give my dogs a flea pill once a month, and it works great! You can get the pill at your local vets office.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Flea treatment for 2 week old kittens [ 3 Answers ]

Our momma kitty had a litter of 6 kittens, 3 survived, but are severely infested with fleas. What is a safe and effective way to treat kittens this young?

What can happen if I use adult flea dip on a 7 week old puppy ? [ 3 Answers ]

What can happen to a puppy that is 7 weeks old if I use a flea dip that is recommended for puppies over 12 weeks old? Please help!!

Flea treatment for kittens [ 1 Answers ]

How can I treat fleas on 4 week old kittens?

Flea treatment for 10 week old puppy [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 10 week old belgian shepherd who is chewing the hair off his backside right above his tail. I washed him in sergeants flea shampoo for puppies but it is only getting worse. Can anyone recommend a flea treatment that is safe for puppies and is there anything topical to stop him from chewing...

Flea Treatment For Cat [ 7 Answers ]

Does an indoor cat need to receive topical flea treatment if he spends a lot of time on a fully enclosed screened porch? The porch also has screening underneath the floor. He never goes outside of the porch. Thank you.

View more questions Search