Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pants1 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2010, 05:02 PM
    Block Foundation on Frame Garage
    I have a sixty-five year old frame garage. It currently has a block foundation which is only visible about 3 inches above the finished grade. In some parts of the yard which have been re-graded, the finish grade is actually above the block foundation and against the siding of the garage. My question is: Can the framing of the garage be supported and/or lifted in order to add another row of block to the foundation?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 3, 2010, 05:28 PM

Could you lift it, sure, but its cheaper and a DIY job to regrade. Your grading sounds like it has changed over the years. Lower the grade and slope away from the foundation and all should be good. If you think lifting is the route calla house mover for a bid, you will not like what he has to say compared to grading
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 3, 2010, 08:02 PM
    How is it affixed to the foundation? Yes, it can be raised by building a lifting frame inside and jacking the whole garage, not 1 side at a time. However, it might be a lot easier to regrade-why was it regraded this way? Termites love this type of situation.

Nov 6, 2010, 09:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    How is it affixed to the foundation? Yes, it can be raised by building a lifting frame inside and jacking the whole garage, not 1 side at a time. However, it might be a lot easier to regrade-why was it regraded this way? Termites love this type of situation.
    I had dirt brought in to have sod put down. The foundation seemed quite low to begin with. My main concern is tha I need to reside the garage and would like to insulate the inside to make it an all-season work space. However, I want to make sure the framing is high enough from the ground to avoid moisture and as you say termites from getting at the framing. It does not seem to be affixed to the foundation with bolts. I don't see any evidence that it is affixed at all, but perhaps there are cement nails that I cannot see. Thanks for the response.

Nov 6, 2010, 09:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Could you lift it, sure, but its cheaper and a DIY job to regrade. Your grading sounds like it has changed over the years. Lower the grade and slope away from the foundation and all should be good. If you think lifting is the route calla house mover for a bid, you will not like what he has to say compared to grading
    Sorry for the typos. Thanks for the response. Regrading was done and new grass has been put down, so regrading at this point might be difficult. Also the yard slopes quite a bit. The garage currently has the old wooden siding on it which is rotting in several places. I'd like to re-side the garage and insulate the inside to make an all-season work space. However, I want to ensure that moisture and bugs will be kept away from the wooden framing so this is the reason for considering lifting the garage itself.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1950's house block foundation [ 3 Answers ]

Hi guys, History- I own a home that was built in about 1952. I don’t know all the history, but at some point one of the previous owners had some sort of drainage system put in, in the basement. It looks like they broke the floor up about 12” wide around the exterior walls in the basement, dug...

Shifting cinder block foundation [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, We recently purchased a cottage and it sits on cinderblocks to keep if off the ground. The cinders are tilted toward the waterfront and need to be realigned. Is there an easy way to do this ourselves or is this a professional fix. Who fixes this type of thing and how much would something...

Door Frame on Concrete Block [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 3 year old house and my walk-in door to my garage had, yes had a Pine 2X8 non-treated rough opening on concrete block. Rough opening and wood door frame has rotted. I have obtained a Vinyl door frame kit and I am wondering the correct procedure to install the new Treated Wood rough opening...

Re parging block foundation [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I hope you can help me I have a painted block foundation that is parged and needs some repair after I remove the loose paint and parge will I be able to reparge over some of the area that still has paint on it and what should I do to prepare the surface to accept the new parge

Repairing cinder block foundation [ 0 Answers ]

Hi All, My house is on a hill so the front is at level with the street and the back foundation is partly exposed. The garge is part of the basement and level with the driveway. Over the years water coming down from the roof and building up behind a 2 1/2' retaining wall next to the garage has...

View more questions Search