Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    manimuth Posts: 261, Reputation: 60

Jan 4, 2007, 08:24 AM
    Proper time to take down Holiday Decorations
    When should one take down Christmas Lights and Decorations?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 4, 2007, 08:26 AM
    I do mine New Years day.

In Grand Rapids Michigan you can be fined up to $500 if they are not down by March 1. :eek:
    curlybenswife Posts: 2,477, Reputation: 267
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2007, 08:28 AM
    12th night after christmas, mine came down yesterday :D

Jan 4, 2007, 08:32 AM
    Curlybenswife,
    Why 12th night? I have heard something about leaving the Christmas tree up so that the three wise men can follow the light of the star on top of the tree. But, wouldn't they be too late anyway?
    curlybenswife Posts: 2,477, Reputation: 267
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2007, 08:35 AM
    Ah I wouldn't have a clue to be honest I'm by no means religious I've just always been told by the 12 night sorry (blushes)
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jan 4, 2007, 08:35 AM
    12th Night (or the Epiphany) is (I think) the day that the Wise Men arrived to give their gifts to Jesus. Some countries still celebrate January 6th as a day of gifts and games.

I take mine down the 1st weekend in January, but that's generally for convenience, not tradition. Plus, by then my tree is dead or dying.

Our apartment complex in TX required that decorations be down by the 2nd weekend in January, which made sense to me. However, my outside decorations here in MN are waiting until I get a nice warm weekend day to take them down!
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2007, 08:36 AM
    All gone here. Tree becomes a fire hazard. :)

Jan 4, 2007, 08:45 AM
    Interesting. So, take it all down before you get a fine or before it becomes dangerous? Whichever comes first? Is that the general consensus?
    I thought there might be more of an etiquette for when to take down the Christmas decorations.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2007, 08:47 AM
    Depends how long you can put it off for before your conscience gets you. :rolleyes:

I don't really think there's much in the way for etiquette here.
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2007, 08:50 AM
    Anybody heard that song Redneck Woman by Gretchen Wilson... "Leave my christmas lights up all year long." That would be my neighbors. Truthfully though, mine come down by the second weekend in January... but the snowman stuff stays until mid march.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 4, 2007, 08:53 AM
    Take them down, that is an interesting idea, got to ask some of the other people around the trailer park here and see what they think. Take them down, sounds interesting but then you just got to put them back up next year.

But seriously there are many trains of though, some people take them down a day or two after Christmas, others leave them to New Years Day, and then others leave them up to the 6th of Jan which is another church holidy.
    nwsflash Posts: 530, Reputation: 73

Jan 4, 2007, 08:57 AM
    I was always brought up that you take them down 12 days after Christmas, but also that you do not put them up until 12 days before Christmas. But in my area people have them up from the end of Oct and some still keep them up until around the end of Jan.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 4, 2007, 09:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Synnen
    Some countries still celebrate January 6th as a day of gifts and games.
    I did not know about January 6, but the Eastern Orthodox Catholics celebrate Christmas on January 7. Growing up I had 2 Christmases. :D
    Jessyfay Posts: 164, Reputation: 4

Mar 16, 2007, 05:38 PM
    I take down my christmas stuff on new years day, but the religious day is the 15th of Jan. or so I'm told.
    Your outdoor lights can wait until there's no ice around to be safe I think. BUT my biggest pet peeve is when people have there outdoor lights up past the holidays and keep turning them on. IT's MARCH people why are you still turning on your christmas lights? And yes I've seen severel houses with colored lights on in march. And it drives me BONKERS!
    I have gone and left notes in mailboxes asking them what's wrong with them.
    lacuran8626 Posts: 270, Reputation: 57

Apr 15, 2007, 10:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by manimuth
    When should one take down the christmas lights and put away the decorations?
    In high school though, one of my friends got so fed up with his mother's refusal to put away - or let anyone in the family put away - their decorations, he took the ornaments off the tree and replaced them with plastic easter eggs. That was up until about August as I recall.
    pearly Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2007, 08:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by manimuth
    When should one take down the christmas lights and put away the decorations?
    If you use live decorations they are a fire hazard. ASAP
    TTCanadian Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2011, 07:05 AM
    Jan 6th is the 12th night my decorations stay up till then.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

When is the Proper time to deliver bread? [ 2 Answers ]

Before or after the actual dinner order has been taken?

When is it a proper time to sighn over rights [ 5 Answers ]

My ex wants 7000 in back child support up front plus sighning over my rights to her .and she will drop everything is this a good idea,I hate this woman because I've moved on in my life and she wants me to suffwer so what should I do.

I'm about to meet my new boyfriends kids for the first time, what is proper? [ 8 Answers ]

Im about to meet my new boyfriends kids for the first time, I'm not sure if it is proper to bring them gifts, or not? What is proper when meeting the kids?

When is the proper time to let a tenant sign a lease. [ 4 Answers ]

Help!! My husband and I have decided to rent our home. We found renters back in October. My husband handled everything. (Sort of.) Against my approval he let them sign the lease by only giving us half the deposit, not including having first months rent! We were first time landlords and they...

View more questions Search