Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JACQU005 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2010, 05:24 PM
    Taxes on parents sold property deeded.
    Our mother is still alive but unable to live alone. She deeded the property to we 4 children 3 years ago. We sold the property last week. How if any do we pay taxes. House sold i new york we live in alabama, ohio and maryland
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 3, 2010, 06:24 AM

When she gave you the property it was a gift, and so your tax cost basis is the same as your mother's cost basis, divided 4 ways. So now you must determine what her basis was, which is equal to her original purchase price plus the value of capital improvement she may have made to the home while she owned it. So your first order of business is to determine a figure for your cost basis. Once you have that - assuming that the market value of the house on the date she gifted it was at least equal to this cost basis, and also assuming that you sold house was sold at a gain over the cost basis, the 4 children will report the sale on their 1040 schedule D, with each showing their share of the proceeds and their share of the cost basis. Now, if in fact the market value of the property on the date of the gift was less than your mother's cost basis, or if you sold the house for less than your cost basis, the rules are a little different - post back if that's the case and we'll walk you through those details.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Taxes for property sold [ 6 Answers ]

My mom passed away in 1995. However, we did not put the house for sale until this year. After going through probate, we finally sold the house. B/c there was little owed on the property, the gain was about 80K split between my father and I. My parents were divorced but they kept their interest in...

Taxes on sold property [ 2 Answers ]

How do I figure my taxes on property sold in PA, I am a full time resident in WV. It was my fathers property that my brother and I split 50/50. I have a 1099 S

What do I pay in taxes on land sold that was given to me after both parents died? [ 5 Answers ]

Both parents are deceased. Property was left to the four of us Mom died 9 years ago. We just sold last year. What taxes do I pay?

Property Taxes on Property sold for estate settlement. [ 1 Answers ]

We have sold property in Indiana that will be part of and estate settlement. The property sold for less than $100,000. The money from this property will be divided between the 6 children. What taxes will be owed for the sale of this property?

View more questions Search